Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting Augustus Hybrid with Wonderful Provenance - Updated  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
I have added this very interesting plated hybrid denarius of Augustus with a fascinating provenance.

The obverse shows the diademed bust of Feronia (RIC 288), of the moneyer Publius Petronius Turpillianus c. 19 BC
The reverse shows a bearded barabarian offering vexillum (RIC 416), of the moneyer Lucius Caninius Gallus c.12 BC

Interestingly the official reverse for the Feronia portrait is a kneeling Parthian barbarian offering a standard, which is similar at first glance.
I would be interested to hear if any experts have a theory how these two types may have been brought together in this unusual plated hybrid.

The coin has travelled through the collections of some real numismatic giants, notably being a plate coin for the Haeberlin auction of 1933 (plate shown below)

ex. Elvira Clain Stefanelli (1914-2001) collection, curator of the National Numismatics Collection at the Smithsonian
ex. V.J.E. Ryan Collection, Valentine John Eustace Ryan (1883-1947) sold by Glendining & Co. 1951
ex. Haeberlin Collection, Ernst Justus Haeberlin (1847-1925), Cahn & Hess, Frankfurt, 17th July 1933, Lot 3259 (Plate coin) - sold to Spink for 26 Reichmarks.

Updated - ex. Lawrence Collection, Cyrus Jay Lawrence (1832-1908) and his son, Richard Hoe Lawrence (1858-1936) of Westchester, New York.

Gallery View: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-137801

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Interesting Augustus Hybrid with Wonderful Provenance
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 03:44:50 pm »
Congratulations  +++

Great coin

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 03:57:39 pm »
Jealous!

Jochen

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 04:41:29 pm »
Simply amazing!

Offline Norbert

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 03:04:11 pm »
Wow ... congrats

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 03:46:22 pm »
very nice catch
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 08:49:47 pm »
Very cool!

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 10:23:12 pm »
Exceptional provenance work and coin!  Well done, and congrats!

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 11:21:43 pm »
It is a rare privilege to own a plate coin.

Congratulations.

Peter

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 02:17:47 am »
Spectacular addition!! +++

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 07:09:59 am »
A plated plate coin!  Fourrees often have mismatched obverse and reverse types.  Forgers simply did not car about matching; they only cared that the coin would pass as legitimate.

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 08:55:23 am »
After some much appreciated help from carthago I have amended the provenance of the coin, to reflect an even longer, more exciting history.

The 1933 Haeberlin catalogue actually has a special note about this coin saying it was the only one of its type from the Lawrence Collection of New York.

I am pretty sure this was the collection of Richard Hoe Lawrence (1858-1936) and likely goes further back to his collector father Cyrus Jay Lawrence (1832-1908) - pictured below in 1876. Cyrus was a stockbroker, numismatist and prolific art collector; interestingly the grandson of Richard Marsh Hoe - the inventor of the rotary printing press! The Cyrus J. Lawrence & Sons law firm still exists in New York today. His vast collection of fine art was sold posthumously on January 21-22, 1910 by American Art Association in a catalogue, "ART TREASURES COLLECTED BY THE WELL KNOWN CONNOISSEUR THE LATE CYRUS J. LAWRENCE, ESQ., NEW YORK".

His son Richard was also a numismatist as well as a pioneer in photography. With Jacob Riis, he published an incredible collection of early photographs of New York slum tenements called "How the Other Half Lives" in 1890, look them up, they're really amazing.

Page on the Lawrence family: https://sites.google.com/site/numismaticmallcom/encyclopedic-dictionary-of-numismatic-biographies/lawrence-richard-hoe

Great to be able to trace this back even further than Haeberlin.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Interesting Augustus Hybrid with Wonderful Provenance - Updated
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 12:29:13 pm »
Great coin and provenance.  I will certainly look at the link you provided!

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
Re: Interesting Augustus Hybrid with Wonderful Provenance - Updated
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 07:56:48 pm »
This shows us that there are many dimensions to the enjoyment we derive from collecting ancient coins. In the case of your coin, it is attractive and pleasant to look at, it has a connection with history, it is unique in that it is a fourree with mismatched obverse and reverse, it has a direct connection with the families in modern times who previously owned it, and a firm place in a reference which in turn connects this coin to other collectors and numismatists. Thank you again for sharing.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity