Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient Greek and Roman Coin Identification  (Read 625 times)

Stavros S

Ancient Greek and Roman Coin Identification
« on: June 20, 2017, 02:09:09 pm »
Hello folks! I am new to the forum here. I really enjoyed browsing and helped identify some of the coins I have by looking through here. My grandfather passed away last year and he was very big into ancient history. He was born and raised on the island of Rhodes in Greece and his family has been there for generations. Some of the coins he left to us he found in Rhodes in his childhood, and some his mother found during her childhood. I know that some are from Rhodes just by seeing the Sun God Helios on them with the Rodi on the back. Some appear to be from mainland Greece during King Philip II times, and some are Roman. I am having a hard time finding exact matches to a few of them though. See my pics in the link below. Thank you for your help!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bwp0q1ChfI6QbzJoZ0FLYmVhNFU?usp=sharing

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Ancient Greek and Roman Coin Identification
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 02:24:16 pm »
Sorry to hear about your grandfather. The bronze Rhodian coin and the silver coin of Philip II are replicas.  The Alexander the great coin is, too.

The Byzatnine coin and the Antoninus Pius coin look real. The Constantine and other provincial I can't say from the photos.

Stavros S

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 03:18:59 pm »
Thanks Molinari. He had lots of fakes in there for sure. I didnt include those because I figured they were replicas. Its unfortunate the Rodi and Philip are replicas too. Unfortunately my Grandfather was a very "enthusiastic" and nice person and believed people to easy. There are more pieces though that I will post at another time that look very real but are kind of beat up.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 05:54:07 pm »
We can be of a lot more help if you will list just one coin per thread, as per the rules.  Otherwise it get incredible confusing to try to discuss multiple coins at once.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity