Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Julius Caesar Elephant same dies?  (Read 552 times)

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Julius Caesar Elephant same dies?
« on: June 19, 2017, 07:51:51 am »
I do think that they both have the same reverse die. (die flaws)

One of these is missing the simpulum.

I think that it the simpulum was in the dies but got missing due to bad strike (some flat and bad struck areas are visible on the coin).

"An apparently unique and unrecorded variety with the simpulum missing on reverse" (sold for 12000 SFR)

I think that the coin would be worth much less if it was only a bad strike and not a new unique variant.

I only want to be sure that they are really from the same dies before I contact the aution house.

So your help is really much appreciated!

Best wishes

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Julius Caesar Elephant same dies?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 08:04:56 am »
Could it be that the simpulum was added later, because the die cutter forgot it at first?

Maybe the error was detected by a quality control after the first set of coins was minted.

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
Re: Julius Caesar Elephant same dies?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 10:33:21 pm »
I think it is the same dies, or based on the same dies.  I think the missing simpulum example is odd looking. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity