Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coins from 520 - 510 B.C.?  (Read 2005 times)

Saino R

Coins from 520 - 510 B.C.?
« on: June 15, 2017, 12:13:00 am »
Hello all. My question is quite simple, but perhaps not so easy to answer - I hope you can help me!

What coins do we know that can be with a decent degree of certainty dated to that time window, 520 - 510 B.C.?

I am asking this because I am considering a gift for a friend, and there would be a special meaning attached to an item from that period...

Online Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Coins from 520 - 510 B.C.?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 01:47:47 am »
hi Saino,

this shouldn't be too daunting a task. what you will be searching for is Greek coins of the archaic period, and here is a link to the appropriate section of Forvm's shop...
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=1274

the coins of this period will be electrum or silver, with electrum obviously being more expensive. but regardless of your budget you should be able to find a suitable coin somewhere on the internet.
Greek coins cannot usually dated to quite so tight a time frame, but 525-500 BC is a common period, and smaller coinage from Asia Minor can often be had at reasonable prices, especially the fractional coins from Miletos, Kyzikos, etc.

good luck!
~ Peter

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 03:02:53 am »
https://www.acsearch.info/index.html enter 520-510 in the search box and you'll have a representative sample of types that are frequently available in commerce.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 08:31:54 pm »
Good question ... hmmm, ummm "maybe" Lydia?

560 to 546 "or" 546-510 BC (David Sear authentication certificate)

... so fricken cool, eh?

+++

Offline 186

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 06:43:15 pm »
Can you help me out 'Steve P' with a description of the coin you posted.
I can see the Lion's head (R) but I cannot work out what it is that is in front of it?
Is it an Eagles head facing downwards?
Or perhaps Lion (R) Bull (L) ?
Thanks

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 10:29:04 am »
Sorry Dude, I didn't notice your coin-question until now ...  

It is a Lion and a Bull

Lydia AR Siglos

Date: 560-546 "or" 546-510 BC (David Sear authentication certificate)
Diameter: 15.6 mm
Weight: 4.9 grams
Obverse: Confronted lion and bull.
Reverse: Two incuse square punches

All coins are guaranteed for eternity