Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nicopolis ad Istrum new variety  (Read 528 times)

Online clueless

• Caesar
Nicopolis ad Istrum new variety
« on: June 11, 2017, 06:23:28 am »
Dear Board,

I have here a variety from Nicoopolis that is listed in AMNG/I but not in HHJ 2017. The coin isn't in too great condition, but I picked it up due to the obverse die.

obv: AV.K.L. CEP. CEV(HR)OC P

rev: VP AVR GALLOV NIKOPOLIT. PROC I

diameter 28 mm

weight 9.3 g

AMNG/I 1301
HHJ 2017 -

HHJ doesn't list this reverse paired with an obverse with ligate HR in CEVHROC, AMNG/I does list this variety.

Any commenst are appreciated !

Cheers,

Clueless

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Nicopolis ad Istrum new variety
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 08:52:29 am »
Dear clueless!

I think it is Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov (2017) 8.14.9.7, same dies, but the ligate HP not mentioned. The obv. is identical with your coin, even the small Π of CEVHPOC Π is found. I have made a correction to this type some time before and hope that Mrs. Hristova will correct the description in the next edition.

Because the ligate HP can be better seen on your coin I would like to add your coin to Nikopolis Addenda #5.

Best regards
Jochen

Online clueless

• Caesar
Re: Nicopolis ad Istrum new variety
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 05:15:33 pm »
Jochen, feel free to add my coin. No wonder that I did miss that this variety is already listed in HHJ 2017 ;)

Clueless

All coins are guaranteed for eternity