Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Athenian Owl Tetradrachms - Egyptian Imitatives - how to distinguish?  (Read 1566 times)

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
Greeting,

I read somewhere that Athenian Owl Egyptian imitative issues can be identified via a "droopy eye" as well as a "bent back palmette".

I have looked at photos of each and I do not know what is meant by "bent back" in reference to the palmette.

On Reid Goldsborough's website, he notes the differences as : 1) coarser feathers on the reverse; and 2) Athena's lips and overall face appearing "un-Athenian".

1. Can someone please elaborate or point me to relevant reading material on the differences between Egyptian vs. Athenian owls?

2. In particular, what is meant by "bent back"?

Thanks,

Peter

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.

1. Can someone please elaborate or point me to relevant reading material on the differences between Egyptian vs. Athenian owls?

Peter G. van Alfen: The "owls" from the 1989 Syria hoard, with a review of the pre-Macedonian coinage of Egypt. AJN second series 14 (2002) pp. 1-58.

and

Peter G. van Alfen Two unpublished hoards and other "owls" from Egypt. AJN second series 14 (2002) pp. 59-72.

These papers contain many other references to other works on the matter particularly those of Buttrey who is the go to expert on the classification of the "owls." Also you can directly search the CNG Bibliography pages for the Buttrey works  if this suits.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
Thank you n.igma,

I have downloaded and started reading it.  In due course I will post a summary of any key observations from that material on the subject of distinguishing between Athenian and Egyptian owls.

Peter

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
I look forward to reading your summary. It can be difficult to put into words what the eyes immediately recognize. For me, some specimens are clearly from Athens, and some clearly from Egypt, but many are uncertain.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
Hi Joe,

I will certainly do my best.  I cannot promise that I will be able to turn what I read into anything useable...and what you say above about it being unclear in some cases, even to your experienced eyes, certainly give me some doubt that I will be able to!

Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity