Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Henry Ninth is it possible ? Henry VIII Halfgroat ? How about a Henry VIIII ?  (Read 1105 times)

Peter H5

I seem to have a Henry the ninth coin ( VIIII ). I know there wasn't a Henry nine (or was their?) it just seems very strange.

Extra I after VIII
I initially though it was a double strike but the rest of the coin looks Ok even the letters right next to it ?
I then thought maybe a die error but i can't see that really, then maybe a forgery but it looks very official.
The letters on the reverse look a bit odd but having looked at quite a few similar coins it seems they are all a bit crude?

Not sure if this is relevant, but I was reading an article about Henry VIII coinage and it states
that:-
The first coinage simply continued Henry VII.'s latest issue.
The only alteration that was made was the addition to the die of an extra I after the VII and a change in the mint-mark.

Is it possible that someone could have accidentally altered a die that already had VIII on it by mistake?
It seems a long shot but I am clutching a straws on this one, maybe a mint workers Friday afternoon coin?

Any views on this strange coin would be most appreciated.
Thank you, best regards Peat.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Likely the result of doublestriking with a slight die shift between the strikes, in my opinion.
Curtis Clay

Peter H5

Thanks very much for having a look and offering your opinion.

I must admit that was one of my theories but the reason I cannot convince myself 100% is that:-,
if this was the case then surely as the extra I is quite clear and must have been produced by quite a heavy strike then the surrounding letters should have suffered in the process and I cannot see any signs at all of that happening?

It continues to baffle me!!, best regards Peat.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Doublestriking can produce strange effects that it is often difficult to explain.

Signs of doublestriking on your coin: the break in the inner circle of dots by the third I of VIIII; odd faults on the letters V and 6 after the VIIII.
Curtis Clay

Peter H5

Yes I can see what you are saying a bit clearer now, the step on the inner circle is a clear sign, maybe if the die was tilted as it was struck then the letters just after the last I would also have been re struck at the same time making them appear quite normal, but in actual fact they are presumably out of step and the tilt would also leave the portrait undisturbed.

Ok I'm now convinced   ;)
I think I just needed someone to convince me to look a little harder at the coin and stop concentrating on the possibility that it was a die making error or an unknown King.

Thanks Curtis, now I see the light.
Very best regards Peat.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity