Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sicily? help id needed - 14  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Crassus

• Caesar
Sicily? help id needed - 14
« on: June 01, 2017, 10:50:02 pm »
Help needed to id the ruler, please?
Thank you so much for your help
small coins, aprox. 15mm

Offline BIRDSOFPREY

• Praetorian
  • Roll Tide Roll
Re: Sicily? help id needed - 14
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 01:08:37 am »
Hi Young,

It is another of your billon denaros of Sicily from the fifteenth century, when ruled by Aragonese kings.  The obverse is an eagle with the rulers name in legend around.  I cannot make out the obverse lettering (maybe you can make them out with close inspection), but for Martin I or II (1402-1410) it would be  :plus:MARTIN:D GR.  For Alfonso the Magnanimous (1442-1458), it would be  :plus:ALFONS:D:GR.  For John II (1458-1479), it would be  :plus:IOANNES:D G.  For Ferdinand the Catholic (1479-1516), it would be  :plus:FERNANDVS D G.  The reverse is the shield of Aragon with the legend  :plus:REX:SICILIE or similar.  I do not notice any mint master's initials on the reverse, so I would think that your coin would be from the Martins or Alfonso's reign.  Mint master initials can be above or either side of the shield on the reverseMint would be Messina.  I gather this information from Medieval European Coinage 14.  Hope this gets you in the right direction.

Cheers,

David

Offline Crassus

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 09:59:13 am »
Hi Young,

It is another of your billon denaros of Sicily from the fifteenth century, when ruled by Aragonese kings.  The obverse is an eagle with the rulers name in legend around.  I cannot make out the obverse lettering (maybe you can make them out with close inspection), but for Martin I or II (1402-1410) it would be  :plus:MARTIN:D GR.  For Alfonso the Magnanimous (1442-1458), it would be  :plus:ALFONS:D:GR.  For John II (1458-1479), it would be  :plus:IOANNES:D G.  For Ferdinand the Catholic (1479-1516), it would be  :plus:FERNANDVS D G.  The reverse is the shield of Aragon with the legend  :plus:REX:SICILIE or similar.  I do not notice any mint master's initials on the reverse, so I would think that your coin would be from the Martins or Alfonso's reign.  Mint master initials can be above or either side of the shield on the reverseMint would be Messina.  I gather this information from Medieval European Coinage 14.  Hope this gets you in the right direction.

Cheers,

David

thank you dear friend, can you help me with anoters coins posted, please?

Offline BIRDSOFPREY

• Praetorian
  • Roll Tide Roll
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 11:47:15 am »
Yes sir, working on them right now!

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 02:53:14 am »