Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Please call if you have questions 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Sicily? help id needed - 6 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sicily? help id needed - 6  (Read 353 times)
young
Caesar

« on: June 01, 2017, 08:22:18 am »

help to ID the ruler and date, please? 15 mm aprox.
BIRDSOFPREY
Praetorian

Roll Tide Roll

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 10:10:26 am »

Hi Young,

This denaro falls into the same category as your post marked -1.  It is a billon denaro of Sicily from the fifteenth century, when ruled by Aragonese kings.  The obverse is an eagle with the rulers name in legend around.  I cannot make out the obverse lettering, but for Martin I or II (1402-1410) it would be  :plus:MARTIN:D GR.  For Alfonso the Magnanimous (1442-1458), it would be  :plus:ALFONS:D:GR.  For John II (1458-1479), it would be  :plus:IOANNES:D G.  For Ferdinand the Catholic (1479-1516), it would be  :plus:FERNANDVS D G.  The reverse is the shield of Aragon with the legend  :plus:REX:SICILIE or similar.  I do not notice any mint master's initials on the reverse, so I would think that your coin would be from the Martins or Alfonso's reign.  Mint master initials can be above or either side of the shield on the reverseMint would be Messina.

Cheers,

David
young
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 03:13:50 pm »

Hi Young,

This denaro falls into the same category as your post marked -1.  It is a billon denaro of Sicily from the fifteenth century, when ruled by Aragonese kings.  The obverse is an eagle with the rulers name in legend around.  I cannot make out the obverse lettering, but for Martin I or II (1402-1410) it would be  :plus:MARTIN:D GR.  For Alfonso the Magnanimous (1442-1458), it would be  :plus:ALFONS:D:GR.  For John II (1458-1479), it would be  :plus:IOANNES:D G.  For Ferdinand the Catholic (1479-1516), it would be  :plus:FERNANDVS D G.  The reverse is the shield of Aragon with the legend  :plus:REX:SICILIE or similar.  I do not notice any mint master's initials on the reverse, so I would think that your coin would be from the Martins or Alfonso's reign.  Mint master initials can be above or either side of the shield on the reverseMint would be Messina.

Cheers,

David

Thank you dear friend for your help
Meepzorp
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 12:43:19 am »

Hi young,

I have a similar coin (different ruler):

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ms_pt05.htm

Meepzorp

young
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 10:43:38 am »

Thank so much for your help
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Sicily? help id needed - 6 « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop