Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Identification would be appreciated of two Antioch head of Zeus, seated Zeus AE  (Read 1172 times)

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi All,

I am just getting yet another Antioch "head of Zeus, seated Zeus" for my collection and Also have a second one on which I would appreciate help, hopefully, as to identification, dates and Reference numbers. I have searched everywhere I can think of but can’t identify either.

My apologies for the continuing nuisance – If I become too much of a nuisance please advise and I will cease and desist.

The coin in the first photo is on its way to my collection and I think that it has, at least, four lines of characters – the right hand side two lines appear to be ANTIOXEWN / THS METROPOLEWS but I can’t make out the two lines of characters on the left. I also can’t make out any date and the figure in the left field might be a star but has only six points whereas all of the stars that I have seen have seven. There also is possibly something extra just above the “star”.

The second photo is a coin that I have had for some time and presumed that it was a duplicate of my ANTIOXEWN METROPOLEWS AYTONOMOY, identified as a HGC 9 1372, McAlee 59(c) (star), Year 7 or 10 (43-39 BC) by Pekka K and n.igma. I Just noticed that, although it also has the star in the left field, it seems to be a ANTIOXEWN THS,,,etc. It is 18.5mm in diameter and 9.74 grams. So a different coin altogether. Of course the date is off flan.

Once again I am hoping that the Forum can help (no hurry).
Any help would second most appreciated.

All the best,
Col

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
EDIT: Sorry, I see now you realize its general location!

Offline Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...

Second coin seems to be McAlee 38(d) listed year 13
Pompeian Era (54/53BC).

Pekka K

Offline Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...

For first coin there are 2 possibilities: McAlee 56 or 57.
Listed for year 41/40 BC. 56 dated Seleucid and 57 Caesarean Era.

Pekka K

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Hi cold,

Here is my example (scroll down, second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_syria_ant_pt01.htm

My example is year 13.

Meepzorp

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi Pekka K,

We meet again.

Thank you for the very much appreciated information. If I were to ever give a pictorial listing of my collection it would have to have the notation "Information by Pekka K".

I have now listed the new information in my records and, once again, it is now ten minutes after midnight down here - so am off to bed.

All the very best to you and yours,
Col

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi again Pekka K,

With the information that you gave on the first coin, I chased around and found the one of the type with the Seleucid dating and dated as 41/40BC. I found it in Wildwinds and show it with mine.

It is extremely similar (star, head of Zeus, etc) but has just a few differences in the characters, etc. so I am using owner's privilege to go for the Roman date and McAlee 57 as mentioned by you.

Thanks again for the help,
All the best,
Col

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
One coin per thread please.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President