Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Books on Medieval and Islamic coinage for Starters  (Read 672 times)

Offline John R6

• Legionary
Books on Medieval and Islamic coinage for Starters
« on: May 19, 2017, 06:15:38 pm »
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and ancient coinage in general. Ive become interested in the coins of Medieval Europe and the Crusaders, and also Islam. Could anyone recommend any books on these topics that would be good for someone new to ancient coins?

Thanks, John

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
Re: Books on Medieval and Islamic coinage for Starters
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 09:59:25 pm »
 "Coins of the Crusader States" by A. G. Malloy, I. F. Preston, and A. J. Seltman .
 "Coinage of the Crusades and the Latin East" by D.M. Metcalf.
 "Numismatique de l'Orient Latin"  by Gustave Leon Schlumberger
Primary Islamic Coin References https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Islamic
Medeival Coin References https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=111297.0

Offline BIRDSOFPREY

• Praetorian
  • Roll Tide Roll
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 11:09:55 am »
Good morning John,

Here are some from my library that I use often.

Greek Imperial Coins, David R. Sear, 1982, Spink (Great start for Roman Provincials)
Coins of Medieval Europe, Philip Grierson, 1991, Seaby (My favorite reference.  This book started my hobby)
Ancient Greek Coins, G.K. Jenkins, 1990, Spink (Some of the most beautiful coins ever made)
Medieval European Coinage Vol 1, Grierson and Blackburn, 1986, Cambridge (Great Dark Age coverage)
Medieval European Coinage Vol 6, Crusafont, Balaguer, and Grierson, 2013, Cambridge (Iberian coverage from Visigothic defeat)
Medieval European Coinage Vol 14, Grierson and Travaini, 1998, Cambridge (Great Regno coverage)
Coinage in South-Eastern Europe, D.M. Metcalf, 1979, Royal Numismatic Society (Slavic and Byzantine coinages)
Germanic Coinages, W.D. Craig, 1954, Craig (Few illustrations but great coverage of minting rulers and locales)
Western & Provincial Byzantine Coins, Warwick Wroth, 1966, Argonaut (Interesting coverage of Dark Age Germanics)
Coinage of South Germany in the 13th Century, D.M. Metcalf, 1961, Spink (German and Austrian coverage)
Byzantine Coinage, Philip Grierson, 1999, Dumbarton Oaks (Starting reference for Byzantine coins)
Medieval Coins in the Christian Thomsen Collection, Kristian Erslev, 1992, Attic Books (General reference for some European)
Copper Coins of German States, O.P. Eklund, ?, ? (Great reference for Kipper Period coins)
Die Deutschen Muenzen der Sachsischen....4 Vols, Hermann Dannenberg, 1876-1905, Berlin (Awesome reference for early German)
Die Saurmasche Muenzsammlung...., Hugo von Saurma-Jeltsch, 1892, Weyl (German from first Groschens to Kipper Period)
Silver Coins of Medieval France, James Roberts, 1996, Attic Books (Best reference for French coins)
Encyclopedia of Roman Imperial Coins, Rasiel Suarez, 2005, Dirty Old Books Ltd (Good reference for novice on up)
Corpus Nummorum Hungariae, L. Rethy and G. Probszt, 1958, Graz (Great Hungarian coverage)
Die Mittelalterlichen Muenzen des Hessischen...., A. Riechmann & Co., 1977, Attic Books (Another good German reference)

There are also a couple of pinned topics on this discussion that you should look through for other ideas, especially the top two pinned topics.  I hope this helps.

Cheers,
David

Offline BIRDSOFPREY

• Praetorian
  • Roll Tide Roll
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 12:22:08 pm »
John,

Let me offer more constructive advice for your question. Coins of Medieval Europe by Philip Grierson (1991, Seaby) is a great starting point for European coins from the fall of the Roman Empire to the dawn of modern coinage.  This reference also includes Crusader coinage in the Levant and North Africa.  Sorry about getting a little happy with the references in my earlier post; my intent was to provide both general and specific references.

Cheers,

David

All coins are guaranteed for eternity