Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Large M lead weight  (Read 2898 times)

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Large M lead weight
« on: May 18, 2017, 01:18:56 am »
20mm by 4mm thick
13.07 g
weight wise not far from a half unica not sure the meaning of the large M

Tekin in ( a catalogue of weights in the Museums of Bordrum and Milas (including some non weight objects).
 has listed and pictured several lead weights marked with a M. In one instance he has a weight of 119.81 g possibly  corresponding to a quarter Mina (man of 479.24G) i.e. a tetarton. Another one at 13.51 gm with side ways M that may stand for a stater. This is a consideration as I understand that with the Lydo-Milesian standard a electrum stater weighed about 14g.

Anyone else familiar with Hellenistic weights?

thanks

cw

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Re: Large M lead weight
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 03:29:27 am »
A mystery.
My best guess is that the M is a sigma, i.e, this is a Roman standard half ounce.
On the other hand there are plenty of Roman period lead half ounces in the Pera Museum, but they are all marked with an S (although ounces are marked with an A), and they are quite different in style to this object.
Perhaps this is some unofficial local weight.

As to the Lydian standard, I don't know of any weights that can be definitely attributed to Lydia.  although one of Tekin's standards of the Aegean region is a mina of c. 420 gm, which is close to the standard of the electrum coins, which is (I presume) a mina of 30 x 14.15 = 425 gm. 

Ross G.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: Large M lead weight
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 12:10:54 am »
Ross thanks for replying, old thread.

Yes I have not seen any weights attributed to Lydia.

The Lydo-Milesian standard has the stater around 13-14 gms and I considered it briefly as a possibility.

I am not familiar with the sigma as a possibility for a roman standard half once, though do not disagree.

CW

All coins are guaranteed for eternity