Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gilded Bronze Square Rivet Quatrefoil?  (Read 1231 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Gilded Bronze Square Rivet Quatrefoil?
« on: May 15, 2017, 06:38:55 pm »
Hi, all.  Here is a large square rivet or belt/harness decoration? from Caesarea Maritima, about 25 x 25 millimeters, and fairly heavy gauge at 1.0mm thick.  The finer decoration of rectangles which are divided into 12 or 16 smaller rectangles appears to be truncated by the thicker cuts.  I can't tell if this was meant to represent a cross, or if I even have it oriented correctly.  The upper side of the post was also gilded, but there is no trace of gold on the underside.  Any ideas on the date, meaning of the design and likely use, would be appreciated.  Thanks, V-drome

BCC MA--
Bronze Metal Artifact
Caesarea Maritima
Uncertain Date
Heavy gauge gilded bronze
alloy rivet, roughly square,
with incised quatrefoil? design.
25 x 24 x 1.0mm. Wt:7.38gm.
Total length of post: 10.4mm. (6.0 out the back)

Click for larger pic

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Gilded Bronze Square Rivet Quatrefoil?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 12:43:51 pm »
To me the length of the post indicates that attachment to leather was unlikely.  More likely it was attached to wood.  Decoration of a wooden box perhaps?

The "feel" is post-Roman but that is with no certainty.  Maybe Islamic era.

"Furniture" decoration, including boxes and chests, is overall poorly documented compared to others types of small finds.....

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: Gilded Bronze Square Rivet Quatrefoil?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 11:19:58 am »
Thank you, Shawn.  I will try to do some searching in that direction.  There was one slightly similar item on-line that was called a medieval belt mount, but it was much lighter (2.15 grams), with only a solder mark on the back for a missing pin.  I like your idea that it was attached to wood.

Best regards, Jimi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity