Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Strange silver weight V-VI cc. with a portrait of the emperor (?)  (Read 881 times)

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
Small bronze Byzantine weights and samples for contlol the weight of gold coins - a thing quite common. But one of these days I got a very strange subject, unlike anything I had seen before.
The first thought was that it was another modern fantasy, a tourist souvenir, but a close inspection made me change my mind. The object is made of silver, on the back there are traces of corrosion, and a fairly thick coating of oxides on the back: black, and in places, brown. The seller said that at first nothing could be disassembled on the reel and it was soaked in chemistry agent for a long time before it was possible to clean it more or less.
So, the weigh is made of silver, its diameter is 16 mm., the thickness is about 2 mm., it’s edges are rounded, with several small but deep metal ruptures. The fact that the weight of the object is exactly 4.5 grams, suggests that we have a test weights (exagia) for the 1 golden solidus.
Exagia, as you can see, are worn, which indicates a fairly long use. The figure occupies only one side. In the upper part - the profile of the emperor (?), or maybe some major official, like an eparch, in a triangular segment, to the left of the head - a cross, apparently, the cross was on the right. Under the profile is a letter M, more like the letter A. More to the left and to the right of it -  are two large crosses. The most insulting is that the inscription, which goes in a semicircle in the lower part of the weight (?) Inscription, is practically not preserved. The first letter is similar to m, and at the end it seems like letters ...  ЛOTI or DOTI (?), But not seeing the bottom of the letters, it's impossible anything more to say.
Weight  can be dated V-VI centuries. If there are opinions, please speak on the topic.

Offline Lone Wolf

• Praetorian
I don't know anything about late Roman/Byzantine weights, but I find the piece interesting.

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
I would like to introduce this exagium into scientific circulation.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
it is odd and initially to me i looks like a fantasy piece as well.

looks like casting bubbles I see on the obverse and the large erosions on the reverse?

I do not recall seeing any Byzantine silver weights before and if one remains convinced this is ancient it has been stuck and not engraved and that is atypical for a weight, other than ones that have been repurposed. I sort of have doubts on this piece.

cordially

cw

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
Erosion on the revers is present, as well as a thick layer of plaque. Bubbles, characteristic for cast copies on the obverse I do not observe. But quite a strong wear on the surface and deep tears at the edge of the workpiece are clearly visible.
The last thing I would like to advertise is tourist fakes and fantasy copies, but it seems there is something else. All this is strange.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity