Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caracalla Sestertius  (Read 1632 times)

Offline kc

• Caesar
Caracalla Sestertius
« on: May 12, 2017, 02:44:12 pm »
Here I show you a historically interesting Bimetallic sestertius of Caracalla.

It is a heavy sestertius for that time and maybe it was given as a present to a general of Caracalla's troops.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-137090

RIC 525c mentions auction J. Schulman, Vierordt sale, 1923, lot 1900. Does anybody have the catalogue for this auction and check
if it is this coin? RIC rates this type as R3 but over the last years a few examples have been sold.

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Re: Caracalla Sestertius
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 03:35:34 pm »
What a beauty  +++
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline kc

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 06:49:13 pm »
Thank you, Eric :)

All the best,

kc

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 02:59:42 am »
Here I show you a historically interesting Bimetallic sestertius of Caracalla.

It is a heavy sestertius for that time and maybe it was given as a present to a general of Caracalla's troops.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-137090

RIC 525c mentions auction J. Schulman, Vierordt sale, 1923, lot 1900. Does anybody have the catalogue for this auction and check
if it is this coin? RIC rates this type as R3 but over the last years a few examples have been sold.

Absolutelly the BOT coin :)  +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline kc

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 03:34:24 pm »
Thank you very much, Joe 😉

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 04:26:33 pm »
The Vierordt coin you ask about is laureate, draped, cuirassed right, as RIC 525c states, so of course is not your specimen. Paris also has a specimen of the same coin, misreported by Cohen 273 = RIC 525d as having AVREL in obv. legend and bust laureate, draped r. only, when in fact the obv. legend has AVR and the bust is laureate, draped, cuirassed right. It is from the same dies as the Vierordt piece. So RIC 525c and d are the same coin.

The variant you have, obv. FELIX and bust laureate, cuirassed right (not draped) is not in Cohen or RIC. But I have plaster casts of two such specimens (Rome ex Gnecchi, Budapest), and I note three in CoinArchives Pro: one in two CNG sales, another (tooled) in several Gorny & Mosch sales, and your coin, ex Bertolami 12, 29 Oct. 2014, lot 862.

Four of these five specimens are from the same die pair as each other. Yours is from the same rev. die (the only die for this Adlocutio type dated TR P XVII), but from a different obv. die, which may be otherwise unknown to me. Among my plaster casts, in any case, there is no other coin from this obv. die, with Adlocutio or any other rev. type.

The bimetallic, overweight flan of your piece of course gives it a medallic quality. I would conjecture that it was produced as a New Year's gift for 1 Jan. 214 AD. Most second-cent. bronze medallions, as I showed in my Date and Purpose of Medallions paper, seem to have been struck for use as New Year's gifts, and a good number of them were bimetallic. Caracalla issued no large bronze medallions at all during his sole reign, but he did produce a small number of bimetallic sestertii in 213, 214, and 215. The title FELIX on your coin would seem to indicate that it was struck early in 214, from an old obverse die that had originally been engraved in 213. On denarii, FEL was superseded by GERM before the end of 213.

Curtis Clay

Offline kc

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 01:21:14 pm »
Hello Curtis,
Thank you for finding out these informations, excellent!
Where can I find your paper with medallions? Why these pieces must have been a New Year's gift and not a gift directly after the event  (for example a won battle )?

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 05:51:17 pm »
kc,

See the thread "The Role of Medallions" under "Reading for the Advanced Collector".
Curtis Clay

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 10:08:24 pm »

That is an incredible coin kc!!! Thanks for sharing.

c.rhodes

All coins are guaranteed for eternity