Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: The Papal Corner 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Papal Corner  (Read 105806 times)
stlnats
Caesar

Release the puffin!

« Reply #300 on: February 11, 2018, 02:51:03 pm »

I'm just getting around to updating my testone gallery, adding a number of coins I've purchased over the last year or so.  I purchased this lower grade M 110 because the die break at 3 o'clock on the reverse is much smaller/earlier than that which appears on the higher grade piece that was already in my gallery (image is from the seller).  While die breaks are quite common on the medals and some of the other states, I don't recall encountering many on the coinage of this era.

quadrans
IMPERATOR
Caesar

Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.

« Reply #301 on: February 11, 2018, 11:25:35 pm »

Nice piece, congratulation,  Thumbs Up

Q.

stlnats
Caesar

Release the puffin!

« Reply #302 on: February 13, 2018, 07:33:20 am »

TY Q.  Always fun to come across these small varieties/striking anomalies.

Molinari
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Herakles cheated!

« Reply #303 on: July 04, 2018, 09:25:53 am »

My first Papal item:

Rome, Gregory X (Tebaldo Visconti), 1272-1276 Bulla 1272-1276, PB 38mm., 90.33g. GRЄ/GORIVS/· P P · X’ · in three lines; all within linear-beaded border; (Ω above P P). Rev. S PA S PE Bare heads of Sts. Paul and Peter, facing slightly r. and l., respectively, each within beaded halo; cruciform sceptrr between; all within beaded-linear border. Serafini I 1-2.

This will make for a nice display in the library, especially if I can find a matching document.

stlnats
Caesar

Release the puffin!

« Reply #304 on: September 05, 2018, 08:13:47 am »

Volume VI of CNORP is coming to market.  Covers the medals of 3 popes in the early - mid 17th century.   A bit pricey (ca US$200+ I think) but  is an incredibly researched, well illustrated reference necessary for anyone interested in the medals of the period.  It's in Italian but is easy to use. 

Pabst Geschichte
Praetorian

Vita est quoque brevis bibere vilis cervesia.

« Reply #305 on: February 13, 2019, 12:46:41 pm »

Did a search on the web for John Carlin Ryan, the founder of this discussion board "Fobilus Fanaticus", in hopes of maybe seeing if he had ever published Volume 2 of his A Handbook of Papal Coins...it turns out he passed away in July 2017.  Here's is the obituary I found. 
http://www.ruckfuneral.com/obituary/john-ryan
Requiescat in Pace.

Nice man. I met him once, and bought an Innocent XI half-piastra from him, back in 1998.

Meus consultum vobis est ut salus imbibo graviter.
Robert_Brenchley
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

« Reply #306 on: February 13, 2019, 04:30:38 pm »

Sad to hear that. He sent me a copy of his book.

Robert Brenchley

My gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: The Papal Corner « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop