Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: C.1200 A.D. Italy? Silver or Billon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: C.1200 A.D. Italy? Silver or Billon  (Read 186 times)
mrbigb625
Consul

Cool forum!

« on: May 06, 2017, 07:47:44 am »

I bought this coin recently on a whim nit really knowing what I was looking at.
The holder was marked "1200's AD Milan Italy".
I thought this would be enough to go on, but I'm finding fairly difficult to attribute.

It appears to be silver or billon, Approximately 15.7mm diameter
And weighs 0.8 grams

Any help would be appreciated
Thank you
Meepzorp
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 08:59:48 am »

Hi mrb,

I have 2 Milan coins from that time period:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/mi_milan_pt01.htm

Meepzorp

Meepzorp
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 09:03:53 am »

Hi mrb,

Your coin also reminds me of Lucca coins.

I have an example (scroll down, second coin):

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/mi_loano_manfred.htm

Lucca coins are notorious for being struck in a late die state. That worn die look is common on Lucca coins.

Meepzorp

mrbigb625
Consul

Cool forum!

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 06:59:57 am »

Thank you Meep,
I think you are on to something with Lucca. I'll have to do do some more research in that direction.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: C.1200 A.D. Italy? Silver or Billon « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop