Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bronze Bull Statuette  (Read 1565 times)

Offline EB

• Consul
    • EB Gallery
Bronze Bull Statuette
« on: May 05, 2017, 11:06:06 am »
Can anyone tell me anything about this bronze bull? Is it ancient? Is it a reproduction of something ancient?
It is part of a family estate and was probably purchased about 1975, but there are no records.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Bronze Bull Statuette
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 06:37:24 pm »
The style is clearly ancient.  Not Roman I think but older.

Whether ancient or a reproduction is hard to tell from the photos.  Better photos - close ups of head, feet/pins etc might help though I suspect an expert would have to have it in hand to be sure.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline EB

• Consul
    • EB Gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 09:42:23 pm »
Thanks Shawn, that is very helpful. I am completely ignorant, so any observations, opinions, suggestions, etc. are most appreciated. I am attaching some more photos.

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 12:31:05 pm »
Ave!

I'm no expert, but I believe that your statuette is a modern replica of an Egyptian Apis bull.
All the one's that I've seen don't have pegs on each hoof, but rather like an original as seen below.

Best,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline EB

• Consul
    • EB Gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 12:47:24 am »
Hello Kevin,
Thank you! I had been searching Greek and Roman. I agree, the style looks very similar. I did some more browsing and came up with two more images. The first one, "Replica of Silvered Calf", has the pegs. So perhaps that is a sign of a more modern casting technique.
The second one, Jeroboam's Calf (see http://www.sassonancientart.com/artwork_show_320_archive.html), has neither pegs nor metal base, but it has similar features.
My statuette looks extremely well preserved, which makes me think it's probably modern.
Regards,
EB

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 08:36:31 am »
I think that most Apis bulls, including perhaps the one Kevin posted (hard to tell from photo angle) have the solar disk between their horns.

In any event the fact that it is based on an ancient design, including the pegs on the feet, is clear.

Unfortunately I can't tell from the images if it is a high quality modern reproduction or a original in great condition with very good patina.

You either need to take it to a real expert or wait to find a identical one listed for sale as a repro somewhere......

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline EB

• Consul
    • EB Gallery
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 01:49:49 pm »
OK, I'll look for expert advice, meanwhile keeping a watch out for an identical reproduction.
Thanks again for your help.
-EB

All coins are guaranteed for eternity