Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vespasian sestertius - anti-clockwise legend, R/ Annona.  (Read 851 times)

Offline Laine S

• Legionary
Vespasian sestertius - anti-clockwise legend, R/ Annona.
« on: April 27, 2017, 03:33:48 pm »
Hello,

I have the chance to purchase a Vespasian sestertius with an anti-clockwise legend.  Is it common?  I have a few Vespasian asses with reverse legends (all COSVIII)

Please let me know if you have any information.

Thank you.

Laine

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Vespasian sestertius - anti-clockwise legend, R/ Annona.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 01:45:41 am »
The reverse please :), size and weight also may help... +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 10:35:01 am »
RIC 988 (R).

All sestertii of this issue (Vespasian COS VIII) are rare. When the portrait faces left, as on your coin, the legend always runs counterclockwise. When the portrait faces right, on the other hand, the legend runs clockwise.
Curtis Clay

Offline Laine S

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 03:56:17 pm »
RIC 988 (R).

All sestertii of this issue (Vespasian COS VIII) are rare. When the portrait faces left, as on your coin, the legend always runs counterclockwise. When the portrait faces right, on the other hand, the legend runs clockwise.

Thank you for getting back to me.

I have the chance of a COS VIII dupondius R/ fortunae reduci, that has a left portrait and a clockwise legend - it has what appears to be a globe under the bust. I don't have a new RIC2 but I think it's 1216, although I don't know what its frequency is (C/S/R etc)

Any information would be most appreciated.

Laine

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 04:07:22 pm »
RIC 1216 (R) seems to be correct.

That is mint of Lugdunum, indicated by the globe below neck. The rule I stated about legend direction applies only to the mint of Rome, not to Lugdunum.
Curtis Clay

Offline Laine S

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 04:53:26 pm »
RIC 1216 (R) seems to be correct.

That is mint of Lugdunum, indicated by the globe below neck. The rule I stated about legend direction applies only to the mint of Rome, not to Lugdunum.

Thank you for the information.

Laine

All coins are guaranteed for eternity