Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Reference needed: AE22, Maximinus Thrax, Ephesus  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
Reference needed: AE22, Maximinus Thrax, Ephesus
« on: April 26, 2017, 09:35:48 pm »
Hello all,
I bought this coin and have not been able to find an online reference for it, an AE22 of Maximinus I "Thrax" from the mint of Ephesus:

Obverse: AYT K Γ IOY MAΞIM... laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Reverse: ЄΦЄCI-ΩN Γ(?) NЄ/OKOPΩN, Artemis, standing right, grappling a stag by the horns.
Dimensions: 22.3x22x1.1 mm, Weight: 4.63g

Any help that can be offered in finding a reference for this is greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Masis
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
Re: Reference needed: AE22, Maximinus Thrax, Ephesus
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 12:20:26 pm »
I saw this too, but chose not to bid on it.
There was something unusual about it, but I wasn't sure what.
It conforms generally to K817 (at least six examples known), but
I suspected that it may have been tooled.
What do you think with the coin in hand? Have you cleaned it?

Walter
(vendor's image attached)
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
Re: Reference needed: AE22, Maximinus Thrax, Ephesus
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 06:12:14 pm »
Hello Walter,
The vendors description as it being of "Commodus" when the title did not match made me curious about this.
Having got the coin I decided to clean the surface of the bust and the figure of Artemis with Stag using a Q-Tip.
I can't make out any tooling to it. There are two small circular "dents" in the right field of the obverse and one on the reverse (by the neck of the stag).
This series of coins from Ephesus is one I am not familiar with.
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity