Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman lead die or what?  (Read 1330 times)

Giovan P

Roman lead die or what?
« on: April 24, 2017, 09:18:50 am »
Hi all, I ve this little lead artifact, seems to be something like a die or a mold for a jewel or similar, it is about 3 cm. I suppose it was found here in Italy but I don't know its history! Can someone helps me?

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Roman lead die or what?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 06:15:11 pm »
Welcome to the forum Giovan!

I think this is a Roman seal impression.  Hot lead was stamped with a seal - usually affixed to a Roman government shipment, customs shipment, etc.

If you look through the Seals and Tesserae section of the website you will see other similar examples.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Giovan P

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 05:33:58 am »
Thank you very much! I move the discussion in the right section. But in your opinion, can it has some value? Thank you

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 11:09:52 am »
We do not discuss prices here.  It is worth only a few hamburgers.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity