Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Trajan on Horseback trampling/spearing Dacian Sestertius OTD  (Read 823 times)

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
Trajan on Horseback trampling/spearing Dacian Sestertius OTD
« on: April 22, 2017, 02:43:02 pm »
Hello all, I have added another of my newest additions, this time a sestertius of Trajan with a powerful reverse scene illustrated. For my money, it is one of the most visceral representations of the absolute domination over the provinces personally exerted by the emperor that we find on the imperial coinage. The message is clear, do not mess with Trajan if you want to live. This coin shows a pleasing state of wear and a fine river patina. Hope you will enjoy it as I do, and as always thanks for looking!

Dave

Trajan Sestertius Trajan on Horseback Trampling Dacian

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-136604

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
Re: Trajan on Horseback trampling/spearing Dacian Sestertius OTD
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 03:48:18 pm »
This is one of my favorite reverse types: I have a couple of Titus ans some more of Domitian.

Good choice.

Alberto

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 08:59:47 am »

Congratulations Dave, on an excellent addition. The regal dignity of the emperor's portrait contrasts so sharply the brutal treatment of Rome's enemy on the reverse it forces you to take a second look. I think this makes it one of the most effective pieces of Imperial proper-gander that can seen on Roman coinage.

I wish I had an example!

Best regards,
Steve

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 12:19:11 pm »
Hello all, I have added another of my newest additions, this time a sestertius of Trajan with a powerful reverse scene illustrated. For my money, it is one of the most visceral representations of the absolute domination over the provinces personally exerted by the emperor that we find on the imperial coinage. The message is clear, do not mess with Trajan if you want to live. This coin shows a pleasing state of wear and a fine river patina. Hope you will enjoy it as I do, and as always thanks for looking!

Dave

Trajan Sestertius Trajan on Horseback Trampling Dacian

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-136604

Hi Dave ,,

Really great coin ... +++

I have this type only a Dupondius ans As and one day I hope I have a Sestertius too :)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-102393

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-102191

Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 01:55:45 am »
Thanks so much for the kind comments, my friends!

Dave

All coins are guaranteed for eternity