Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Identification Help (Moderator: Varangian)  |  Topic: Greek Kolophon, DONE, thanks Altamura and Shanxi 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greek Kolophon, DONE, thanks Altamura and Shanxi  (Read 96 times)
zoser
Caesar

« on: April 21, 2017, 07:37:03 am »

I thought it could be from Macedonian Kingdom but I haven't found any coin with a similar inscription.

AE13
Altamura
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 10:48:20 am »

Perhaps this one mentioned in Isegrim:

ERD:   AM
PRO:   IONIA
PO :   COLOPHON
PZ :   Between -285 and -190
BNG:   IKESIOS
   Obverse
VT :   HEAD MAN R / APOLLO
VA :   WREATH LAUREL
   Reverse
RSG:   KOL IKESIOS
RT :   MAN RIDING R(1)
RA :   SPEAR(1)
RF :   LYRE
   Technical details
M  :   AE
GR :   15(1) / 16(2-3)
GEW:   2.72(1) / 2.62(3)
ST :   12(1)
   Bibliographical references
ZIT:   SNG KOP 22 174(1) / MILNE KOLOPHON 155C(1)
VGL:   MILNE KOLOPHON 155A(2) / COLL BERLIN(2) / MILNE KOLOPHON 155B(3) / SLG HUNTER S324,4(3)
   Additional remarks
FR :   RS: KOL IKESIOS

Regards

Altamura
zoser
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 11:04:29 am »

Hi Altamura, I didn't take that option into account as coins from Kolophon wear a spear and mine seems not to do it, in adittion legeng on Kolophon coins is quite different.

King regards

Altamura
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 11:44:39 am »

Your coin is, if it is true, a smaller variant of the "usual" Apollo rider coins from Kolophon. Usually they weigh between four an five gram, this variant only between two and three.

Your coin is a bit corroded, so it cannot clearly be seen whether there is a spear or not. But the position of the rider's arm is exactly the one for holding a spear.

When searching in Isegrim for coins with a head of Apollo and a magistrate's name ΙΚΕΣΙΟΣ, the only ones with a horse on the reverse are from Kolophon.

I don't have alternatives, but it's up to you to continue the search  Smiley.

Regards

Altamura

shanxi
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 01:02:44 pm »

Altamura is right  Cool

This is a die match, the spear hardly visible, but you can see the KOL above the horseman mentioned in the ISEGRIM result.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=82091q00.jpg&vpar=591&zpg=37576&fld=http://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins2/
Altamura
Caesar

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 01:34:46 pm »

Great  Smiley . This is the lacking evidence  Thumbs Up

Regards

Altamura
zoser
Caesar

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 02:02:49 pm »

Yes, you both are completely right.

I had no idea about this variant of coin, thanks for letting me know it.

Best regards
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Identification Help (Moderator: Varangian)  |  Topic: Greek Kolophon, DONE, thanks Altamura and Shanxi « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop