Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New, Help Identify Tyre Shekel  (Read 558 times)

Paul G3

New, Help Identify Tyre Shekel
« on: April 20, 2017, 02:20:34 pm »
I'm new to coin collecting and I've been reading up a lot.  I'm interested in purchasing this coin from an antique dealer in Israel.  He's has the paper work from Israel Antiquites Authority and I've had friends and professors purchase from him in the past.

I'm wondering if this is real or fake and I'm having a hard time figuring out the date.  I"m new to reading dates on these coins. 

I'd love some help identifying this coin.

Paul

Online Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: New, Help Identify Tyre Shekel
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 04:15:15 pm »
Here you find a paper with pictures of these shekels for nearly each year: https://issuu.com/cngcoins/docs/cohen_dca_supplement_2014
Perhaps you will find your's  :) .

Regards

Altamura

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 09:38:10 pm »
Late Tyre shekels like this are always a problem to read--the inscriptions were very carelessly cut.

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 10:42:25 pm »
These are also very popular = often faked. 

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 11:21:36 am »
We do not allow screening of purchases here. Buying based on opinions from people on the internet who can only look at a photo, not the coin in hand, is not smart. We want you to be smart. Before buying a coin, you should either know the coin is genuine from you own knowledge, or know the seller has the expertise to authenticate the coin and guarantees authenticity.  If you do not know one or the other. do not buy. Know the coin or know the seller.  There will be other coins you can buy with confidence.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity