Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine anepigraphic Constantinople  (Read 1727 times)

Offline agord

• Consul
Constantine anepigraphic Constantinople
« on: April 19, 2017, 11:11:10 pm »
Just have to share my latest find. Couldn't resist this one when I saw it. To my surprise a David Sear certificate of authenticity came with it, a nice bonus.
RIC VII Constantinople 13
3.07 grams, 19.3 mm

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Constantine anepigraphic Constantinople
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 02:02:38 am »
Hi agord,

Interesting coin ... ;) :)
 Great find.. +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline romeman

• Consul
  • ROMA AETERNA
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 12:20:03 pm »
Dear Agord,

Some years ago I published a paper in the Celator about forgeries cut from genuine coins. I am sad to have to say that this is another one. In short: a genuine coin has been re-cut to produce the forgery. In this case, the obverse legend has been obliterated, and the reverse ground down and then a new reverse has been engraved. And then artificial weathering, fake patina etc.

Constantinople RIC 13 is rare, so I understand that it is sought after and that the forgers copy it. There are only six genuine RIC 13 known to me (2 in public collections: Wien and Milan; 4 in private hands: Pecunem 18-911, Pecunem 34-1040 and two more that I have bought). I have studied all of these except the Pecunem 34 specimen.

The present forgery was offered to me in January from the Balkans, but as it was an obvious forgery I turned it down. It later ended up with Victor Clark, and David Sear has apparently issued a certificate for it. I'm sorry to say that he is not infallible.

I attach a photo of the reverse where I have indicated traces of the original design. There are many places and many circumstances showing that this is not a genuine RIC 13, also on the obverse.

Victor has had no reason to doubt the authenticity of the specimen, especially as it has been certified by David Sear. However, if you don't want to have a forgery in your collection, I suggest that you turn to Victor and he will do the right thing.

I will be happy to send you (privately) photos of all the genuine Constantinople RIC 13, and also my Celator paper showing a similarly produced forgery.

I'm sorry if this has made you disappointed. I'm on a constant crusade against Constantinian forgeries because they mess up my research.

All the best,

Lars Ramskold

Offline romeman

• Consul
  • ROMA AETERNA
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 05:35:49 pm »
I should make the case a bit clearer.

The host coin for the re-cutting is a Cyzikus coin, RIC 34 or thereabouts.  No other mint produced wreaths like that. I show a selection of Cyzikus campgate coins to show the similarities (re-cut coin is lower right)

/Lars

Offline agord

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 08:28:57 pm »
Lars thank you for your information on this coin. The dealer has offered to take the coin back, and I will keep watching the market for what may come up for sale.

Offline romeman

• Consul
  • ROMA AETERNA
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 04:29:17 am »
Dear Agord, I'm happy to hear that everything turns out well! I only wish that the forgery itself would be destroyed. I have exposed many forgeries, only to see them pop up again at auction or eBay. Oh well, that's inevitable.

Good luck with your collection! The mere fact that you specifically bought this coin shows - to me, that is ;-) - that you have exquisite taste when it comes to coins!

/Lars

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 08:08:31 am »
Dear Agord, I'm happy to hear that everything turns out well! I only wish that the forgery itself would be destroyed. I have exposed many forgeries, only to see them pop up again at auction or eBay. Oh well, that's inevitable.

Good luck with your collection! The mere fact that you specifically bought this coin shows - to me, that is ;-) - that you have exquisite taste when it comes to coins!

/Lars

If you add Fake Coin Reports, it will greatly decrease the odds that they will pop up again and the odds that if they do, they will be spotted before they sell.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline agord

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 10:51:16 pm »
Report added

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar