Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: NIKOPOLITWN (and Julia's Nemesis) Revisited one more time..  (Read 930 times)

Offline Cloudcuckoo

• Praetorian
NIKOPOLITWN (and Julia's Nemesis) Revisited one more time..
« on: April 11, 2017, 10:22:46 pm »
A recent acquisition sent me back into the discussion board archives to uncover what, for myself, was a far more educational and intricate topic than I had expected to find. It is always sad to remember those who are no longer available to us, when thinking of great numismatists, but the internet and this site in particular have ensured that their words remain. Such is the case with Slokind's study of the Auspex dies of Nikopolis, used under Septimius Severus. When new questions arise, one only hopes that others step forwards with insight and knowledge to share! In this case I hope Archivum or Jochen in particular might notice my post here.

I will try to keep it brief. The coin is a 4.3g, 22mm AE of Nikopolis ad Istrum, struck for Julia Domna. I have been unable to find any reference for a similar type with a Nemesis-Aequitas reverse. For a seemingly rare type I am happy to say that it is an attractive example which possesses good detail and lovely green patination.

There are two former discussion threads that I would like to draw attention to, along with two corresponding requests for opinion:

A) At this link from 2008 you can read a very interesting thread discussing some of the left facing Auspex obverses of Septimius Severus, beginning with an initially putative one linked to a reverse remarkably similar in style to that on my Domna one (to my eye at least). Q. Is it possible that Auspex could have created the dies for this Julia Domna type? https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=45183.0

B) Q. From this other link to a conversation that took place in 2010 (and the link to a previous post in 2008 within it), am I correct in concluding that there is no known Nemesis-Aequitas reverse currently recorded for Julia Domna from the Nikopolis ad Istrum mint (only the Nemesis proper types as shown at the link)? https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=62702

Many thanks in advance for anyone who can help answer my questions..
Derek.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: NIKOPOLITWN (and Julia's Nemesis) Revisited one more time..
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 09:43:27 am »
Greetings, Derek; a pair of quick answers, which Jochen perhaps will expand on:

A) I believe that your coin probably shares a reverse die with the left-facing Severus coin featured on https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=45183.That left-facing Severus is likely an issue of Auspex or (maybe) Gentianus, so your Julia was also most likely an issue of one of the two.

B) Though your Julia-type is rare, it is not quite unpublished; see AMNG 1469 in the screenshot below, clearly noting the Rad (wheel) to the left. There are problems in two earlier posts * and in my first edition of Xristova-Jekov, where 8.17.35.2 is a Nemesis-Aequitas lacking the wheel but purporting to be the same issue as AMNG 1469; we should probably call your type a Nemesis-Aequitas-Tyche (in view of the rule, scales, and wheel), while 8.17.35.2 is indeed just a Nemesis-Aequitas. Along with https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=48825.0 and the threads that you already note, you might also glean something of use from Pat Lawrence's small coppers / brasses collection, link helpfully reactivated by Jochen at https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=61931.msg674106#msg674106 (upper-right options-button for download).

* https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=44687.0 / https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=59434.0
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 12:39:23 pm »
Hi Derek!

My description of your coin:

Moesia inferior, Nikopolis ad Istrum, Iulia Domna, 193-211
AE 22, 4.3g
obv. IOVLIA DO - MNA CEBAC
         Bust, draped, r.
rev. NIKOPOLIT - WN PROC ICTR
        Nemesis-Aequitas, in long girded double chiton and mantle, stg. frontal, head l., holding
        in l. arm rod (goad?) and in extended r. hand scales; at her feet the wheel
ref. a) AMNG I/1, 1469 (2 ex., London, Sestini)
       b) Varbanov 2863 (R4)
       c) not in Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov (2017):
           rev. 8.14.35.7 (for Severus, same die)
           obv. e.g. 8.17.4.5 (same die, Athena with spear entwined by snake and shield set on small base)
                   and  8.17.4.8 (same die, Athena like 8.17.4.5, but spear without snake)
            Both obv. have no corresponding rev. with any coins of Severus.

Tyche on coins of Nicopolis is always depicted with rudder. Therefore we have called the deity on this coin usually Nemesis-Aequitas.

Regarding the problem of the issuing authority of your coin I think archivum can be right.

So it is another example for a parallel issue for members of the imperial family.

I would like to add your coin to Nikopolis Addenda #5.

Best regards

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 01:15:17 pm »
Jochen, you might still want to cross-reference the Sept Sev reverse die I refer to -- I think it's identical. Also, I believe AMNG leaves it vague as to whether the Sestini specimen of 1469 is actually distinct from the specimen that ends up in London.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 01:55:33 pm »
Done.

Jochen

Offline Cloudcuckoo

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 05:41:34 pm »
Dear Archivum and Jochen,

I cannot thank you both enough for the information you have shared on this coin. I am genuinely very grateful to you. It confirms my highest hopes for what began as a humble coin, misidentified by an ebay seller, who does not sell coins normally and had placed it in the wrong section for proper appreciation of its numismatic interest.

Upon reading the thread on Auspex and left facing Septimius portraits, I had suspected that above sharing stylistic similarities the reverse on mine may actually be a die match for the first shown. The image was low resolution though and I thought it best not to stick my neck out too far in my opening request for help;D

Its great to have all the die links, obverse and reverse, too. I am so glad that it has found its proper context. Of course, it goes without saying that I am more than happy for it to be added to your Nikopolis Addenda, Jochen.

One last question, if I may..

How much is known of Auspex engraving dies for Domna? Supposing the reverse on my one is his work, is it likely that that he did the obverse also? I love the young looking portrait, which seems far more sensitively rendered than is the norm.

Many thanks to you both, once again. It is great to have spoken with you.
Regards,
Derek.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 07:54:54 pm »
Jochen, I see you do have an entry for AMNG 1471 NIKOPOLTW N (https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=81719.msg559471#msg559471) as discussed at  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=48825.0. It is probably worth noting in your 1471 entry that Julia's coin shares a reverse die with Sept. Sev. 1345. If both Julia coins now join the 2009 "Nemesis-Aequitas" entry for Hr-J 8.17.35 (where the not-quite-correct references offered are both 1469 and 1471), you may want to emend the generic description for the entry to read "Nemesis (triassarion?), occasionally with additional attributes," and then add distinct numbers for Derek's reverse die (= 1469, featuring wheel) and 1471 (featuring wheel, minus scales, but instead with the raised-garment gesture quite common for Nemesis, with the clipped reverse legend NIKOPOLTW N PROS ISTR).  

All coins are guaranteed for eternity