Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID needed for large rounded artifact  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
ID needed for large rounded artifact
« on: April 11, 2017, 07:29:41 pm »
Ave!

Copper alloy; 80 X 70mm/94.2gm

Not sure what this is... A wagon/cart terret or a really big cabinet pull...?

Thanks!
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: ID needed for large rounded artifact
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 08:32:50 pm »
Not sure it is strong enough for a terret ring?  Cabinet pull or other types of handle.

No real idea

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 05:44:48 pm »
Ave!

Here is a better photo.

Shawn, in hand, this whatever it is, is quite stout and sturdy. At the base, again better seen in hand, despite the break, I can see what appears to be screw threads.

As we all know, metal is common today, but not in Roman times. If this was a drawer pull, it would have been an extravagate cost. One of my friends suggested that it may have been from a chariot?

On the lighter side, without the bottom round connector, this would make a serious "brass knuckles".

Best,

Kevin

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 11:47:18 am »
I think that there are a few things that make it less likely to be a terret ring - and thus for coach or chariot.

Most terret rings have smaller loops at the base instead of pins.  The few pins I have seen are iron inserted into the bronze base. 

The actual pin on yours that fastened it to something is quite thin.  You can see the the broken bronze pin is about 1/3 the diameter of the whole base.  I think that terret rings were stronger.

Also this form of the base and pin looks like stuff used on Roman furniture - though admittedly I can't find a parallel for the big top loopy bit.

Yes, metal was expensive but high end Roman furniture used lots and lots of metal as display.  You can find museum examples with big carven figures, chair legs entirely fronted with thick bronze, etc.

Overall it still goes in the uncertain for me...

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 12:43:14 pm »
Thanks! +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity