Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF - LAST DAY TODAY! Please call if you have questions 252-646-1958. Shop TODAY and save! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. STORE WIDE SALE!!! 10% OFF - LAST DAY TODAY! Layaway and reserve are now available! Shop TODAY and save!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Other Metal Antiquities (Moderator: otlichnik)  |  Topic: ID needed for large rounded artifact 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ID needed for large rounded artifact  (Read 206 times)
Mayadigger
Caesar

Romans, lock your wives way!

« on: April 11, 2017, 05:29:41 pm »

Ave!

Copper alloy; 80 X 70mm/94.2gm

Not sure what this is... A wagon/cart terret or a really big cabinet pull...?

Thanks!

"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"
otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis 2016
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 06:32:50 pm »

Not sure it is strong enough for a terret ring?  Cabinet pull or other types of handle.

No real idea

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
Mayadigger
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 03:44:48 pm »

Ave!

Here is a better photo.

Shawn, in hand, this whatever it is, is quite stout and sturdy. At the base, again better seen in hand, despite the break, I can see what appears to be screw threads.

As we all know, metal is common today, but not in Roman times. If this was a drawer pull, it would have been an extravagate cost. One of my friends suggested that it may have been from a chariot?

On the lighter side, without the bottom round connector, this would make a serious "brass knuckles".

Best,

Kevin

otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis 2016
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 09:47:18 am »

I think that there are a few things that make it less likely to be a terret ring - and thus for coach or chariot.

Most terret rings have smaller loops at the base instead of pins.  The few pins I have seen are iron inserted into the bronze base. 

The actual pin on yours that fastened it to something is quite thin.  You can see the the broken bronze pin is about 1/3 the diameter of the whole base.  I think that terret rings were stronger.

Also this form of the base and pin looks like stuff used on Roman furniture - though admittedly I can't find a parallel for the big top loopy bit.

Yes, metal was expensive but high end Roman furniture used lots and lots of metal as display.  You can find museum examples with big carven figures, chair legs entirely fronted with thick bronze, etc.

Overall it still goes in the uncertain for me...

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
Mayadigger
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 10:43:14 am »

Thanks! Thumbs Up

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Other Metal Antiquities (Moderator: otlichnik)  |  Topic: ID needed for large rounded artifact « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop