Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antonino Pio Denarius  (Read 555 times)

Marcos M

Antonino Pio Denarius
« on: April 10, 2017, 07:44:23 pm »
Hi,

Please, I would like to know your opinion about this coin. Is it a real denarius?

Best Regards,
Iamblichus

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Antonino Pio Denarius
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 07:49:09 pm »
It looks OK, but we need to see the reverse and know the weight before venturing an opinion. Further, giving an opinion just on the basis of a photograph is always risky. Let's see what others say.
Also, you must tell us if you own this coin and have it in hand. Using this group to guide you on a possible purchase is forbidden here

PeteB

Marcos M

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 08:05:44 pm »
Hi Mr Peter,

Thanx a lot. I'm sending the reverse. The weight is 3,1 grams.

Best Regards,
Iamblichus

Marcos M

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 08:13:56 pm »
Mr PeteB,

I bougth the coin and I don't want to sell it. I just want to know if it's ok.

Best regards
Iamblichus

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 08:16:38 pm »
In my eyes, judging from the photos, your coin has every appearance of being authentic.
Curtis Clay

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 08:18:55 pm »

The weight is fine, so I would say it is authentic....and a nice coin. Good photography, Lamblichus.
PeteB

Marcos M

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 08:28:18 pm »
Thank you very much!

Best regards
Iamblichus

Marcos M

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 06:49:24 am »
Hi,

A Last question. If It's a real silver denarius, with amost 2000 years, why It's so cheap? I paid around $200.

Best wishes,
Iamblichus

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 07:35:34 am »
Take a look in our shop and the Members' Auction (the links are above).  You will see ancient coins for a cheap as a few dollars and many nice denarii for under $200.    

The ancients minted a lot of coins. A single Roman mint may have produced more than 10,000 coins a day and the Romans sometimes had many mints operating.

People lost coins in ancient days, just as they do today. But even more significant, because there were no banks, ancient people often buried their entire savings. If they forgot where they buried their coins or died without telling someone where the coins were buried, the coins stayed in the ground. Huge hoards containing thousands of coins are discovered every year.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Marcos M

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 10:38:04 am »
Hi, Mr Joseph Sermarini,

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Iamblichus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity