Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantius II Solidus - Unusual Obverse Legend / Die Error?  (Read 933 times)

Delaunay1881

Constantius II Solidus - Unusual Obverse Legend / Die Error?
« on: April 09, 2017, 06:59:45 pm »
Hello! I have a Constantius II solidus which appears to be a standard type. The obverse features the diademned, draped and cuirassed bust of Constantius facing right. The reverse features Victory standing facing left with a trophy in the right hand and a palm on the left shoulder. The mint mark is TR. It is recorded in Sear, 17795; C 261; RIC 12. However, the obverse legend contains an anomaly. Instead of reading: FL IUL CONSTAN / TIUS P F AVG, it reades: FL IUL CNSTAN / TIUS P F AVG. In other words the 'o' of 'Constantius' is omitted.

Is this what is called a 'die error'?' And is the error of any historical significance or do legend errors such as these occur frequently with coins from this period?

I am attaching an image in case any one can help me with my enquiry.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Constantius II Solidus - Unusual Obverse Legend / Die Error?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 10:12:26 pm »
Yes, that is an engraver's error: he left out the O of CONSTAN - TIVS.

Such errors do occur on official coins, though not very often. For example, in an earlier era, GABA for GALBA on middle bronzes of Galba (BMC 149), and GEM for GERM on asses of Domitian (RIC 489 note).

Such errors are of no historical importance, though they are numismatically interesting for showing official mistakes, and because of their rarity. Usually they only occur on one die within the issue in question.

Your error does not appear to be published. It was unknown both to Kent in RIC VIII, Trier 122, and to Deyperot in Les monnaies d'or II, Treves 4/3. Both Kent and Depeyrot report that there were 45 specimens of this solidus in the Portugal hoard, and Depeyrot had studied 44 other examples, apart from those reported to be in the hoard. But neither of these authors had seen a specimen with the O omitted from Constantius' name, unless of course they looked too quickly, and failed to notice the missing O on a specimen that they had indeed seen!

Please show us the reverse of your coin too!

Curtis Clay

Delaunay1881

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 10:58:00 am »
Thank you so much for your help and for the additional information. I did wonder if the error was unpublished and so I am grateful for the Kent and Deyperot references. Thank you for responding!

I am also attaching an image of the reverse of the solidus for your interest.

Many thanks! If anyone has any further help or advice I would be delighted to hear from you.

Anthony

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 11:44:06 am »
Thanks for the reverse image of your coin. Can you tell us the weight too?
Curtis Clay

Delaunay1881

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 03:21:09 pm »
Hello! The weight is 3.89 gm.

Best wishes,

A.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 06:14:42 pm »
The low weight, coupled with the somewhat clumsy style of your coin and the omitted letter on the obverse, could make one think of an ancient imitation.

Below is a photo of a more regular example from CoinArchives Pro, weight 4.52g.
Curtis Clay

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 08:03:07 pm »
Or perhaps a modern fake.
PeteB

Delaunay1881

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 05:37:28 am »
Thanks for these ideas everyone. I am grateful for any in-put on this.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity