Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage  |  Topic: Is this bronze disease? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this bronze disease?  (Read 604 times)
Din X
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« on: April 08, 2017, 01:56:10 am »

I do not have experience with bronze disease.
It is a transfer die fake, and I do not know if the authentic coin it was overstruck on had bronze disease or if the patina broke out from overstriking and makes it look like bronze disease.
In pictures it looks powdery like bronze disease.
I do not have it in hand, will receive it end of next week.
I would remove the powder with knife, and hoping that it will stop.
Soaking in destilled water baking or chemicals to neutralize sulfided would be to much work for such a cheap fake Sad

With best regards,
otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis 2016
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 07:42:02 am »

It certainly looks like BD.  Also, looking at edge of the coin in the image of the reverse it appears that much of the coin body might be soft under a thin hard crust.  So be careful with it, it might be fragile.  I would use a thin sharp pin and not a knife to clean it out.  Even a toothbrush and toothpick first.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
Martin Rowe
Comitia Curiata
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 11:57:34 am »

It´s definitely BD, it appears to have been treated for bronze disease previously.

Bill W4
Consul

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 01:13:31 pm »

A bit late to the party, but yes bronze disease.

I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!
Din X
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 11:37:35 pm »

Thank you!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage  |  Topic: Is this bronze disease? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop