Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Small 17 mm Roman/Byzantine Seal wifh Eagle on Obverse & Boy on Dolphin Reverse  (Read 1996 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I recent acquired an interesting small lead seal measuring 17 mm.   On the obverse is an eagle with folded wings within a beaded circle.  On the reverse is what appears to be a creature - a fish? - with a rider within a beaded circle.  While the seller attributed it as Byzantine, it doesn't look Byzantine to me - could it be Roman?  I would appreciate any comments or insights on identifying the age and source of this seal.  

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
I know nothing about the seal but I think that the "creature" on the reverse is probably a dolphin. The "boy on a dolphin" type was quite popular on some Greek coins.

Regards,

Alex.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I agree 100% with your assessment of the reverse  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
It measures 17.01 mm and weighs 3.6g

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Could this be a tessera rather than a seal?

Pogh_poor

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
I hope you right because seems not have tunel...???

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
A seal should show traces of a channel where the cord or wire went through to fix it to something. This object shows no such traces, so I wouldn't describe it as a seal. Tessera, for lack of better term, would be more appropriate.
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Thank you for your valuable opinion.  Poor_poor

All coins are guaranteed for eternity