Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: Small 17 mm Roman/Byzantine Seal wifh Eagle on Obverse & Boy on Dolphin Reverse 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Small 17 mm Roman/Byzantine Seal wifh Eagle on Obverse & Boy on Dolphin Reverse  (Read 597 times)
pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« on: April 07, 2017, 07:49:34 pm »

I recent acquired an interesting small lead seal measuring 17 mm.   On the obverse is an eagle with folded wings within a beaded circle.  On the reverse is what appears to be a creature - a fish? - with a rider within a beaded circle.  While the seller attributed it as Byzantine, it doesn't look Byzantine to me - could it be Roman?  I would appreciate any comments or insights on identifying the age and source of this seal.  

Pogh_poor

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.
*Alex
Procurator Caesaris
Quaestor
Caesar

Etiam Iuppiter non omnibus placet.

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 05:52:17 am »

I know nothing about the seal but I think that the "creature" on the reverse is probably a dolphin. The "boy on a dolphin" type was quite popular on some Greek coins.

Regards,

Alex.

pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 05:56:05 am »

I agree 100% with your assessment of the reverse  Pogh_poor

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.
pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 05:07:00 am »

It measures 17.01 mm and weighs 3.6g

pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 01:33:49 pm »

Could this be a tessera rather than a seal?

Pogh_poor

quadrans
Caesar

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 02:01:26 pm »

I hope you right because seems not have tunel...Huh

Q.

Gert
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 03:54:50 am »

A seal should show traces of a channel where the cord or wire went through to fix it to something. This object shows no such traces, so I wouldn't describe it as a seal. Tessera, for lack of better term, would be more appropriate.
Gert

pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 09:50:08 am »

Thank you for your valuable opinion.  Poor_poor

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Seals and Tesserae (Moderators: Gert, Ardatirion)  |  Topic: Small 17 mm Roman/Byzantine Seal wifh Eagle on Obverse & Boy on Dolphin Reverse « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop