Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Small 17 mm Roman/Byzantine Seal wifh Eagle on Obverse & Boy on Dolphin Reverse  (Read 1979 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I recent acquired an interesting small lead seal measuring 17 mm.   On the obverse is an eagle with folded wings within a beaded circle.  On the reverse is what appears to be a creature - a fish? - with a rider within a beaded circle.  While the seller attributed it as Byzantine, it doesn't look Byzantine to me - could it be Roman?  I would appreciate any comments or insights on identifying the age and source of this seal.  

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
I know nothing about the seal but I think that the "creature" on the reverse is probably a dolphin. The "boy on a dolphin" type was quite popular on some Greek coins.

Regards,

Alex.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I agree 100% with your assessment of the reverse  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
It measures 17.01 mm and weighs 3.6g

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Could this be a tessera rather than a seal?

Pogh_poor

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
I hope you right because seems not have tunel...???

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
A seal should show traces of a channel where the cord or wire went through to fix it to something. This object shows no such traces, so I wouldn't describe it as a seal. Tessera, for lack of better term, would be more appropriate.
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Thank you for your valuable opinion.  Poor_poor

All coins are guaranteed for eternity