Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Valerian II from Lyrbe - references?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline txxxw

• Praetorian
Valerian II from Lyrbe - references?
« on: April 06, 2017, 06:11:38 am »
I haven't been able to find this little coin anywhere.

ΠOY ΛIK KOP OYAΛEPIANON KAI CEB (lifted directly from a 2014 post by Helvetica, so thank you for that) where the N and K are ligated as I see it. Bare-headed, draped and cuirassed.

ΛYPBEITΩN. Apollo Sidetes standing left with patera and sceptre.

5.66 g, 21.88 mm

Seller's pictures combined:

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Valerian II from Lyrbe - references?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 07:50:28 am »
This small-module version isn't in Isegrim -- by the way, I 'd say that that that legend is definitely Valerian I's.
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline txxxw

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 07:59:41 am »
It is the KOP - Cornelius - that makes me think it might be Valerian II.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 09:03:45 am »
Yes, KOR / "Cornelius" does speak for Valerian II, but SEB more readily points to his grandfather, even though not exclusively his; maybe SEB is the part of this legend that's dodgy.  With reverse legend EITWN, the rest of the main legend points to Laerte (Cilicia) not Lyrbe, but with no perfect matches in Isegrim.

Offline txxxw

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 01:51:22 pm »
This is where I found the obverse legend, courtesy of Helvetica:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=49390.msg587958#msg587958

Lyrbe
Valerian II. 256-258
POY LIK KOR OYALERIANON KAI CEB, bare-headed, draped and cuirassed bust right, value IA in field.
LYRBEITWN, Tyche, polos on head, standing left, holding rudder and cornucopiae.
94-8

So the CEB, if it is there at all, is not unique. And although the picture doesn't show it very clearly at all, in hand LYRBE is readable. Does anyone know of a reference? Or a reference of a larger denomination?

Here is a picture with the reverse legend shown as clearly as possible with my camera:

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 03:28:20 pm »
Well, a larger denomination with this reverse from Lyrbe does exist for Valerian I; it seems likely your coin's just unlisted, since it's not in Isegrim.

Offline txxxw

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 04:42:39 pm »
I guess you are right. Thank you for your help. I will just call it SNG Myself then ;-)

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 05:36:58 pm »
Yup, why not? I'll just add that the Kapossy coin that Helvetica cites is a larger-module coin, with additional room for that SEB, and especially since V. isn't laureate on your coin, he is possibly not being portrayed as Augustus, and your legend is simply POY LIK KOR OYALERIANON KAIC or the like.

Offline txxxw

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 01:47:55 am »
I actually think you are completely correct about the legend. There's not a lot of room for the extra EB and at the right angle I am able to convince myself that CPO is visible. POY LIK KOR OYALERIANON KAIC it is. Thank you for your help.

Offline txxxw

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 04:30:34 pm »
I may just be flogging a dead horse here, or making an observation that most of you have already made, but I was just looking at some Valerian coins from Aspendos. A couple of Valerian II coins looked stylistically very similar to the little guy in the first post. Furthermore the same ligate N&K turns up. And regarding the debatable legend, CEB seems to have been in competition with CE.

www.acsearch.info/image.html?id=608837

www.acsearch.info/image.html?id=3011281

www.acsearch.info/image.html?id=524678

Was my coin struck in Aspendos (or the Aspendos coins in Lyrbe) or did the die-cutter travel between at least those two towns... or am I seeing things? I like the travel theory as Side might also have been visited by the same artist:

www.acsearch.info/image.html?id=1592997

www.acsearch.info/image.html?id=815074

So... I guess I just made an observation that has been made a thousand times before, but at least I get to write "CEB or CE" on the coin holder.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity