Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Edward I lion vs leopard (Type;elias 13b)  (Read 1349 times)

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
Edward I lion vs leopard (Type;elias 13b)
« on: April 04, 2017, 04:50:10 pm »
In another foray outside my main collecting area I recently acquired the coin below

Described as:
ANGLO-GALLIC. Edward I. As "son of Henry, King of England," 1252-1272. BI Denier au lion (17.5mm, 0.79 g, 1h). Bordeaux mint. Struck 1253-1274. Leopard passant to left; double pellet stops in legend / Cross pattée. Elias 13b

In earlier listings I have seen the description as "Lion" rather than "Leopard"

What is the best description Lion or Leopard? Why?

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Edward I lion vs leopard (Type;elias 13b)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 05:47:13 pm »
Not knowing anything about the actual coins themselves......the pellets around the face could possibly be interpreted as a stylized mane.

Offline BIRDSOFPREY

• Praetorian
  • Roll Tide Roll
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 01:47:28 am »
Good morning all,

In James Robert's book The Silver Coins of Medieval France on page 357, it states, "Heraldic leopards and lions are essentially identical, though the former are customarily depicted passant-gardant (walking with the head turned), and the latter is often rampant....".  The subtitle of this section, which includes your coin is "Leopards of Aquitaine."  It goes on to state, "After the English expulsion, the lion reappeared as a local symbol, like the dolphin of Dauphine."  I would venture to say that your animal would indeed represent a leopard; Jim is a pretty smart fella!  I hope this answers your question to some satisfaction.

Cheers,
David

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 07:27:29 am »
David,
Thank you for the explanation. Exactly what I was hoping to find.

HK

All coins are guaranteed for eternity