Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A silver victoriatus I recently cleaned  (Read 2648 times)

Offline Jordan Montgomery

• Consul
    • Gallery of my Roman Republican coin collection
A silver victoriatus I recently cleaned
« on: April 04, 2017, 02:31:57 pm »
I recently completed the first silver coin I've ever cleaned(with a lot of coaching and advice from a professional) and thought I'd share. The coin is a very rare Crawford 90/2 anonymous victoriatus,  a type missing from many RR collections and one that I might not have ever found another example of had I ruined this one. My goal was to clean it as conservatively as possible both because the metal in these is debased and I wanted to be careful not to do anything that wasn't necessary as far as chemical cleaning and the reverse was struck with a fairly worn die as evidenced by the weakness and multiple small die breaks so I opted for a very careful approach.

I spent close to a month slowly cleaning the dirt and other grime off using DW soaks and a soft toothbrush first, with toothpicks used to remove the dirt from some details. This revealed mostly nice metal with toning in some areas but also a bunch of iron oxide that especially on the reverse was unsightly and obscuring some details and the gentle cleaning method I was attempting wasn't touching it. I used a dilute citric acid solution (half and half lemon juice and boiling water) with the electrolytic reduction method where I placed a folded piece of aluminum into the bottom of a bowl with the coin and poured the heated solution on top of it. I only let this go for three minutes which was enough to weaken the iron oxide to the point that most could be removed with the soft toothbrush. The remainder was left on the coin as I felt that it gave a nice contrast and the solution was beginning to remove toning in spots that didn't originally have iron oxide covering them and I did not want to completely strip the coin to bare metal. I then used DW and baking soda to neutralize the acid and tben a DW rinse and another soak to remove anything further and a quick trip in the oven at 200f to fully dry to coin.

Please let me know your thoughts. As I said this is the first silver coin I've ever personally cleaned but I think it came out as well as I could have hoped.
Gallery of my collection with notes and discussion of Republican history and numismatics

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Re: A silver victoriatus I recently cleaned
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 03:16:00 pm »
Very nice result, excellent toning below dirt
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 04:57:05 pm »
Congrats!

Jochen

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 05:12:40 pm »
Great job

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 05:42:57 pm »
Very nice.  I like the fact that there are still the small remains of the iron oxide.  It is a reminder of its previous state.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Joss

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 06:04:50 pm »
Impressive!

Was it described as a RRC 90/2, or did you discover it after cleaning?

Offline Jordan Montgomery

• Consul
    • Gallery of my Roman Republican coin collection
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 06:07:25 pm »
It was not described as such, just "anonymous victoriatus", but I immediately recognized it from the obverse style that is unlike any other victoriatus
Gallery of my collection with notes and discussion of Republican history and numismatics

Offline Joss

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 07:01:25 pm »
Even better!

Offline Batista

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 09:01:37 pm »
Uau...the coin is simply beautifull...

What a diference!! Congrats.  +++

Offline B-Chicago