Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mudstained Coin?  (Read 1819 times)

Offline SeptimusT

• Praetorian
Mudstained Coin?
« on: May 11, 2017, 01:52:23 pm »
This coin looks more detailed in hand than it does in the scan I did, but I think you'll get the idea. The detail is actually pretty good; the inscriptions are legible in hand. The mint is London, which really makes me interested in getting it cleaned up.

It was covered in soft red mud initially, but on removing that by gently poking it with a toothpick, I wound up with this. It almost looks like the mud has stained the patina. I've had it in distilled water for about a month now, without it getting much better past the initial removal. Is there anything that can be done here? More soaking, or something else?

I'm worried about removing the encrustations, too. For fear of what might be under those.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Mudstained Coin?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 07:24:21 pm »
Mud cannot stain the patina.  You need a brush with firm bristles and some more picking.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline B-Chicago

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 11:30:24 am »
you could try boiling it in water and baking soda for about ten minutes

make sure you change the water every few weeks and clean the containers you soak  the coins in every few months, I have found vinegar to be very effective in cleaning the containers - soap after and rinse well

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 12:49:07 pm »
Be careful that it is indeed mud and not surface corrosion or decaying patina.  Red-brown rough porous patinas do exist and what is under the layer is no better.  If you are not revealing nice surface anywhere I would not press on as it might not get better.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity