Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Inscription in dAilly  (Read 702 times)

Offline Ted

• Praetorian
Inscription in dAilly
« on: April 03, 2017, 02:00:10 pm »
I recently bought a copy of d'Ailly. The first volume contains the following inscription (approximate): "au musee de gesuitet  de lyon, hommage et souveneir du l'auteur " (machine more or less translates as "To the Jesuit Museum of Lyon, homage and recollection of the author"), followed by "Baron d'Ailly". Would this be an inscription from d'Ailly or just celebrating him? (The museum appears to have covered a previous collection mark on the title page of each volume, but I need a sunnier day to try to see through this to see what the mark is.)

Offline Joss

• Praetorian
Re: Inscription in dAilly
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 02:14:52 pm »
It's an inscription by d'Ailly himself "Au musée de Jésuites de Lyon, homage et souvenir de l'auteur". Good catch!

I'm however not aware of a Jesuit Museum in Lyon.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity