Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Curiostity on rare coin of Philip from Hierapolis - any ideas?  (Read 921 times)

Offline Robert H7

• Praetorian
This large bronze from Hierapolis has an interesting anomaly on the reverse - the left side of the roof seems to rise off the plane and pierce the border.  Magnification shows the roof decorations were punched down and the spear point shaped feature outside of the border added.  I have not received this coin yet so I can't tell if this was done at some point later or if the die was recut - this reverse is a die match to the Paris specimen illustrated in figure 371 of Price and Trell but that coin does not show this.  There also appears to be an ancient damnatio across the throat of Philip on the obverse.  Any thoughts appreciated - is this just some tampering with the coin for unknown reasons, a weirdly damaged die or an intentional alteration to the die or coin that has some other meaning....

PHRYGIA. Hierapolis. Philip I (244-249). Ae.
Obv: AVT K M IOV ΦIΛIΠΠOC.
Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: IЄPAΠOΛЄITΩN.
Hexastyle temple, with pellet in pediment and containing Apollo standing slightly right, holding lyre; tree to inner left.
SNG von Aulock 3659; SNG Tübingen 4039; Waddington 6171. (can add an example listed as in Paris in Price and trell figure 371)
Rare
Condition: Very fine.
Weight: 17.20 g.
Diameter: 36 mm.

Offline Cloudcuckoo

• Praetorian
Re: Curiostity on rare coin of Philip from Hierapolis - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 11:24:07 am »
Hi Robert. To my inexperienced eye I think the apparent deviation in that part of the roof of the temple has been created by acretions. It looks as though the coin has been cleaned and whoever did it left behind those formed in that area of the coin, probably because they found them harder and more solid than those elsewhere. I can imagine that they then began following their own lines. You can see some scratches on the surfaces that confirm the attempt to reveal detail. I think I can see the original pelleting of the roof showing through and they seem to confirm that part of the roof to actually be following the expected position as intended on the original die, despite the optical illusion to the contrary created by the cleaner.

Offline Robert H7

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 10:14:24 am »
Thanks Cloudcuckoo.  I am not sure, the coin ill be arriving finally this week I hope and I will be able to see better.  I am not sure it's an accretion though or that the coin has been overly cleaned, it seems to have a fairly heavy black-green patina.  Also, the roofline below where the arrow punches through the border has been redone to make it look as though the roof is lifting up.  In reality the original has been punched down.   Hopefully I will be able to tell if the that was done on the die (which was not always that way) or by hand later but prior to the patina developing. 

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 04:57:17 pm »
I think most likely a damaged and repaired (not carefully repaired) die.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Robert H7

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 05:07:30 pm »
Could be damaged die, the metal from the void beneath the roof line corresponds pretty well with the pointy metal added piercing the border.  Definitely ancient whatever it is :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity