Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin ID Cleaned roman coins  (Read 587 times)

Scott B4

Coin ID Cleaned roman coins
« on: March 28, 2017, 01:12:53 pm »
HI, everyone

This is my first post to the forum. Hopefully someone here will be able to help me ID two Roman coin I brought uncleaned on ebay for practice. I've cleaned the coins to the best of my ability. I will be cleaning more in the future.
Thanks

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Coin ID Cleaned roman coins
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 03:46:38 pm »
Please stick to one coin per post--it gets too confusing otherwise.  DiameterWeight if possible.  Take a look at the Rules and this will work more efficiently.

Scott B4

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 05:09:32 pm »
My apologies.  I would like to know any information regarding the coin pictured first( moon and star)
20X20mm roughly and weighs 20g ( hope that's helpful )

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 11:16:28 pm »
Scott B4,
   The top coin with the crescent and star is a roman provincial coin from Nicopolis as Istrum, one of the more prolific provincial mints.

Kurt

Scott B4

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 09:15:30 am »
Thank you for your help. Any ideas about the other coin ? ( pictured back and front)   looking on the site, is it constantius ii ? I am really new to this.

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 01:24:17 pm »
Scott,
   Constantius II is most likely.  I think I see IVS from around 3 o'clock.  The reverse is a GLORIA EXERCITVS with two soldiers and a single standard.  To get a complete ID you need to decipher the letters in the exergue (the bottom of the reverse.  These will indicate the mint.

BTW: the legends on your provincial coin are in Greek not Latin in case you didn't realize it.

Kurt

Scott B4

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 01:31:27 pm »
Thanks again. If i get anymore coins I can't id , should i update this thread instead of making a new one ?

Offline Zaph0dd

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 01:49:30 pm »
One coin a thread, so any more coins, new threads please !

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 01:45:00 pm »
Start a new thread for each individual coin.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity