Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Procopius Die links  (Read 763 times)

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
Procopius Die links
« on: March 27, 2017, 11:38:26 am »
hello, im very actuve on this forum this time. I hope this is not too much.

I found this obverse die link who ll appear on my new website (coming soon). Looking at 50 siliquae i found this link, so we can say it proof there probably no many dies and therefore a very few coins struck.
Cannot say which coin were struck first, i dnt see more die's usury or break on one coin specifically.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=214273
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=222418

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
Re: Procopius Die links
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 11:41:48 am »
Sorry i post twice, i find it more clear for the explanation.

Now the reverse die link i found for Nicomedia. You can see, under the mint mark, the same little break at right (N). But the question is: "is those coins came from same treasure?".

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1167092
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=612268

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 07:39:40 pm »
Nice find.  Thanks for posting about it.

Regarding the dies.  Do you mean that you looked at 50 different examples of this siliqua type and only found one die match?

If that is the case then you actually have a very large issue. 

Though I am not an expert in statistics and can't tell about the "confidence level", by using Warren Esty's basic formula for determining number of original dies from a sample, in this situation (50 coin with 49 different dies, equalling one die match and 48 singleton dies) yields an estimate of 1825 different obverse dies!  That is a huge issue.

This means that it is more likely that there are actually more die matches in you sample of 50 coins.....

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 09:43:32 am »
Thank you otlichnik. Im doing portraiture and reverse study. Looking at 50 (nummi, siliqua...) i found those 2 links. Actually, im looking at 200 nummi to find a die link. More, the type with "spear" for reparatio fel temp is particulary interesting. And i try to find a link between a reparatio fel temp with spear and normal type.
All results of this study will come on my future website in some monthes.

Do you have a faster technic than keep a coin and look at the others, then keep another... This is particulary long.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 05:06:22 pm »
Not really.  I am no expert in the area of die links.

Some people talk of the possibility of using software - like google's or apple's face recognition software - but I don't know if anyone has done it.

One thing that can help is to quantify some things.  That is assign numbers for certain features.

As an example, if you see differences in the way the P of PIVS relates to Procopius' forehead then assign numbers.  Say 1) for almost touching, 2) for a bit further away, 3) for far away, 4) for away and above and 5) for away and below.  Then you assign the number to each coin.

Then you find another feature.  Maybe the way the G in AVG relates to the shoulder, or anything else where you see variation.  Create the different numbers for different meanings and then assign each coin its number.

You keep a log for each coin with the numbers.  Say you have five variables then your coins will have numbers like:

Coin 1:  3 2 2 5 1
Coin 2:  3 3 1 5 3
Coin 3:  2 2 2 5 4
Coin 4:  3 3 1 5 3

When you get matches, like coins 1 and 4, they are not necessarily die matches but the are worth looking at closely.  That way you don't waste time on comparing each coin to another.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 10:04:35 am »
Thank you olitchnik, nice idea.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity