Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Koinon: International Journal of Classical Numismatic Studies  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Hey Everyone,

I’m interested to hear your opinions about starting an annually published peer-reviewed journal for all branches of classical numismatics and related topics (iconography, economics, etc.). It would be an  “independently” peer reviewed journal, which means those submitting manuscripts would be responsible for seeking out colleagues to review the work before it is submitted for publication (and providing evidence they did this); though I would like to establish an editorial board with one expert from each of the major branches who are available for consultation by the general editor upon request.  It would be a print journal, even if that sounds like a terrible idea in the “digital age”.  

My original thought was to publish in English, but now I’m thinking it would be open to any language provided there is an English abstract.

Tentative Journal Title: Koinon: International Journal of Classical Numismatic Studies

Tentative Editorial Board Positions:

Archaic Greek Coinage
Classical Greek Coinage
Hellenistic Greek Coinage
Roman Republican Coinage
Roman Imperatorial Coinage
Roman Imperial Coinage
Late Roman Coinage
Roman Provincial Coinage
Byzantine Coinage
Early Islamic Coinage
Oriental Greek Coinage
Central Asian Coinage
East Asian Coinage
Dark Ages
Medieval
Exonummia

What am I missing? Maybe just simplify: Greek, Roman, Byzantine, Other?

My vision is that the journal is published yearly as a hard cover book with a corresponding PDF e-book made available for free to the world after one year from the date of release of the print book.  I would take orders as the journal nears completion and print only what is needed (plus a few presentation copies for the inaugural issue).  I may or may not seek an outside firm to cover publication costs and distribution, depending on how popular it is. The ultimate purpose of the journal is to give scholars another avenue to publish their findings outside of the traditional journals produced by the major numismatic societies around the world.  

So, waste of time or fun idea?

If you think it is a good idea and would like to serve on the editorial board, let me know.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Koinon: International Journal of Classical Numismatic Studies
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 11:58:25 am »
I am happy to help in any way I can.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 05:26:05 pm »
Thanks, Joe.

I'm hoping some of our members here will submit papers once I do a call for papers, or volunteer for the editorial advisory board. 

But I'm still curious if there is a desire for such a publication? 

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 05:45:08 pm »
It might also be good to focus on publishing papers from collectors, dealers, or other students of numismatics outside the university system (not that I would exclude them, but encourage non-professional academics to contribute).  Similar to the Celator but slightly more in depth and non-profit.   

Offline Xenophon

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 06:13:39 am »
I would certainly subscribe.

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 01:52:46 pm »
Hi,

Good Idea   +++

May I suggest two more topic :

Dark Age
Early Medieval

Regards

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 08:00:37 pm »
Great idea.  Happy to help any way I can too.

Peer review is a good idea.  I am not familiar with "independent" peer review.  My first thought is that it would be too easy to get a buddy or like-minded to give you the thumbs up on your submission regardless. Does it really result in better papers than just those self-submitted?  Is some form of more formal peer review to onerous?  It does not have to be full anonymized academic expert peer review, could simply be review by an editorial board - does the item make sense, does it take into account the key literature in the area, including recent works, etc.

I think it would also help to think about, or if you have already thought then provide us with, a bit more about the tone and style you are looking for.

Are you looking for articles like the Celator, Spink's NC, or the AJN??  All are valuable in their own way but they are not equal and I would argue would not mix well in the same publication.

My own opinion is that the Celator type of articles - somewhat "lighter", often more speculative, short - have been largely overtaken by the internet with its many fora/forums and blogs.  What could benefit from further publication are the longer, more extensively researched papers with things like die studies, hoard studies, etc.  As you note though these could be by collectors, dealers, etc.  No need to be a phd to contribute in this area.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 08:33:34 pm »
 Independent peer review would mean the paper was vetted by an expert, but one that the author seeks out, so not through blind review.  It could be one's buddy, but that buddy needs to be a qualified expert and sign off on it, as would the editorial board.  So for example, my book was independently peer reviewed by experts I found, not ones found by the publisher.  But they were all highly qualified and distinguished in the relevant areas, and sometimes I made fairly substantial changes based on feedback.  This method would be much easier to facilitate, too, and wouldn't require I have a host of PhDs on board as referees.

Ultimately, I'd like the essays to be interesting and appeal to a fairly wide audience, but that doesn't necessarily exclude die studies.  I'm working on drawing up guidelines for publication that I will post soon for more feedback.  I think the closest would be AJN and related publications.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 08:58:29 pm »
Thanks for the update.  Will help any way I can.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 12:07:13 am »
I have reviewed articles for several academic journals and would be glad to contribute what I can to this effort. Though my academic expertise is not directly related to numismatics, I may be able to help with other facets of the project.

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 04:01:57 pm »
OK ,

I same as Shawn I can help if I have to ...

and also I have a same background as orfew...

Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity