Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vis-à-vis portraits of the deified Gord. I and II Africani at Augusta in Cilicia  (Read 1483 times)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
A highly interesting provincial coin just sold on German eBay. Unattributed by the seller, but of course I was not the only bidder to recognize its importance! Somebody outbid me for the coin, though the winning bid and mine were more that twice as high as those of the third- and fourth-place bidders, who had obviously also recognized the deified Gordiani I and II on the reverse.

AVT.K.M.AN - T ΓOPΔIANO[C CEB] Laureate bust of Gordian III right.

ΘEOI ΓOPΔIAN[OI] AVΓOVCTAN[ΩN] around, date ET HIC in upper field, laureate, draped bust of Gordian I facing bare-headed, draped bust of Gordian II.

AE 32mm, 14.45g, seller's pictures below.

The year of issue, 218 = 237/8 AD, fits with the expectation that Gordian III would probably have produced such a type very soon after his accession in 238, presenting his credentials to become emperor, rather than at some later date in his reign. It seems curious that Gordian II is bare-headed, rather than laureate like his father.

Checking CoinArchives, I find that an apparent variant of the same coin was in CNG's E165, 30 May 2007, lot 166, 31mm, 14.03g, see their picture of the coin below. CNG's cataloguer correctly identified the mint as Augusta on the basis of ...ANΩN ET...at the bottom of the reverse, but both the era date and the names of the two emperors in the rev. type were corroded away and illegible, so the cataloguer suggested Balbinus and Pupienus. But the two emperors are probably actually the two Gordiani Africani, as on the German eBay example. I think I can read an E at 9 o'clock on the rev. edge, in the correct position for the E of ΘEOI; plus, I don't think we have any evidence that Balbinus and Pupienus were ever consecrated. Kienast in his Kaisertabelle says that their memories were apparently condemned, because their names were eradicated in several inscriptions. As far as I am aware the known provincial coins of Balbinus, Pupienus, and Gordian III all belong to the reign of Balbinus and Pupienus, when Gordian III was just Caesar, not to the reign of Gordian III himself as Augustus, after the deaths of Balbinus and Pupienus.

The CNG and German eBay coins are from different dies on both sides. On the CNG piece Gordian II is laureate, not bare-headed as on the eBay coin; the corroded Gordian I appears to be laureate also, but might be radiate.

I am uncertain whether this coin of Augusta with rev. Gordian I and II has been published before, apart from the misdescribed CNG piece; certainly it is not in SNG Paris, SNG Levante, BMC, Ziegler's Cilicia in Smaller German Collections, or Asia Minor Coins. Vis-à-vis portraits of the deified Gordian I and II were however used as an obverse type at Aegeae in Cilicia, according to Cohen vol. V, p. 4, quoting Sestini; there the legend had further titles including Africani and was in the accusative not nominative case, namely

ΘEOYC ΓOPΔIANOYC CEMN AΦP CEBB.

Date Year 284 = again 237/8 AD, as was to be expected. I would guess that these coins of Aegeae are probably discussed in a German article to which I do not have ready access, P. Weiss, An altar for Gordian III, the elder Gordiani, and the Severan Emperors from Aegeae in Cilicia, Chiron 12, 1982, pp. 191-205.
Curtis Clay

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
A remarkable coin; I underbid on it too. The type is I think published once, misascribed; here's the Isegrim entry for it:

PRO:   CILICIA PEDIAS
PO :   AEGEAE
PZ :   238
TIG:   PIS
   Obverse
VSG:   AYT K M ANTW GORDI..
VT :   PORTRAIT MAN R / GORDIAN III
VA :   WREATH LAUREL / CLOTHES / CUIRASS
   Reverse
RSG:   T'EOI GORDIANOI AIGEAIWN ..PIS
RT :   PORTRAITS 2 / PORTRAIT MAN R / PORTRAIT MAN L(1) / GORDIAN / GORDIAN II(1)
RA :   WREATH LAUREL(1) / BEARD(1)
   Technical details
M  :   AE
GR :   30.5(1)
GEW:   18.39(1)
ST :   06(1)
   Bibliographical references
ZIT:   ZIEGLER OLBA 007 208 TAF35,4(1) / COLL PRIVAT 14(1)
   Additional remarks
FR :   VS: AYT K M ANTW GORDI.. RS: T'EOI GORDIANOI AIGEAIWN ..PIS(THS)
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Amazing! Thank you Curtis and Archivum.
PeteB

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
I, too, put an early 'holding' bid on this item (and for a VERY short
time was the high bidder!).
As history (and Curtis) tells, when I went back at the end with
the intention of placing a last-minute bid it was already well over
what I would have intended. Clearly several people both wanted
it a LOT more than I did, and had pockets deep enough to match.
A truly fascinating coin.

Thanks for the additional information Curtis!

Walter
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Does Isegrim furnish fuller details about their source for the coin,

ZIEGLER OLBA 007 208 TAF35,4(1) / COLL PRIVAT 14(1)?
Curtis Clay

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Here's what I find in Isegrim bibliography:

Author:   ZIEGLER,RUPRECHT
Title:   ASKLEPIOSKULT UND KAISERKULT IM KILIKISCHEN AIGEAI UM DIE MITTE DES 3. JH. N.CHR.
Journal:   OLBA
Vol.:   07
Date:   2003
BIB:   ZIEGLER OLBA 07
Serie:   206-217

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Thanks for the details!

I may have an offprint of that article courtesy of the author, but I'm not sure I can find it since large parts of my library are still packed in boxes after a recent move.
Curtis Clay

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
I may have access; if so, I'll let you know.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
For all interested parties, here's the less well-preserved variant issue as pictured in R. Ziegler's article; the reverse is conceivably the same as the CNG coin -- actually looks a bit different to the right -- while the obverse on both coins shows Gordian III somewhat more simply attired than he is on the specimen just auctioned.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Thanks for the scan of Ziegler's article and for posting the photo of the third Augusta coin here!

This third spec. seems to be from the same obv. die as the CNG example, and probably the same rev. die too.

I had thought that the emperor on the left of the CNG coin was laureate or possible radiate, but now we see that he is actually bare-headed. So both dies of this type show one emperor laureate and the other bare-headed, but on the eBay coin the laureate emperor is on the left looking right, while on the CNG and Ziegler coins he is on the right looking left.

Since both Gordians I-II were Augusti, it seems odd that only one of them is depicted laureate in the type, while the other is bare-headed. Now we have the further oddity that the laureate and bare-headed emperors also switch places on the two known rev. dies of the type.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity