Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vespasian Mystery Denarius  (Read 882 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Vespasian Mystery Denarius
« on: March 13, 2017, 09:33:47 pm »
I was really thrilled about finally obtaining my latest piece. https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-135752

I've known of this specimen for nearly a dozen years, following it from one coin venue to another. It is commented upon in the new RIC II (which just adds to its celebrity) in the section concerning barbarous types. When it surfaced last year on a European dealer's website I finally pulled the trigger and added this personally highly coveted coin to my collection.

The mystery is whether or not the crude style is an indication it was struck at an unofficial mint or not. My personal belief is the coin is indeed official. The metal and weight are good, and the style can be explained by RIC's 'less able die-engraver' hypothesis. Not to mention, the Ashmolean has a specimen in a similar style.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Vespasian Mystery Denarius
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 09:39:09 pm »
Incredible coin David, congrats!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 06:24:04 pm »
Neat coin.

Any idea who the female figure is?

It is described as turreted but seems to me to be more like a stephane

That and Ephesus makes me wonder if it is Diana?

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 09:39:45 pm »
Thanks everyone for the kind compliments!

Shawn, my guess is that the female figure represents Tyche. On the above specimen the turrets are not very visible (only two small ones), but other examples of the type in better style clearly show them.

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 12:31:14 pm »

Congratulations again David! Wow!

c.rhodes

All coins are guaranteed for eternity