Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Budget Legionary Denarius Rarity Of The Day  (Read 759 times)

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
  • Ferrata Fidelis Constans
Budget Legionary Denarius Rarity Of The Day
« on: March 31, 2017, 12:51:28 am »
I present my recently acquired Marc Antony LEG IIII denarius. As discussed throughout this thread on Legionary Denarii, coinage of the 4th Legion ("Scythica") is more commonly represented by the "IV" marking, but rare to scarce examples use "IIII". I was happy to find this example below at a great price.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-136063

It's certainly a budget example, but in hand and in the dealer's original photo the IIII is faint, yet clearly there. I believe it's even somewhat legible in my own photo presented below. I am happy to find an affordable way to add a rare Legionary Denarius to my collection.  ;D

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Budget Legionary Denarius Rarity Of The Day
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 01:30:01 am »
Not an easy one to find.  Congrats!  I've owned 2 but currently have only one in my collection after selling off most of my legionaries. 

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
  • Ferrata Fidelis Constans
Re: Budget Legionary Denarius Rarity Of The Day
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 01:24:03 am »
Thanks Jay! I am slowly but surely building up a collection of legionaries. Your gallery makes a great guide.  +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity