Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Maximian without mint mark  (Read 686 times)

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
Maximian without mint mark
« on: March 20, 2017, 06:45:43 pm »
Hello, i show you an follis of Maximian. There is no mint mark. Are you agree with Londinium mint for that coin?

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Maximian without mint mark
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 05:19:16 am »
Yes!

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 09:41:11 am »
Thank you, is this happen only for Londinium?

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 11:13:36 am »
No, this did not happen only with the mint of London. Some coins from Lugdunum (Lyon) also do not have mint marks.

Although RIC lists this coin with other coins minted in London, a careful reading of the introduction to the mint of London (vol. VI, p. 113-122) shows the editors of RIC had serious reservations about this attribution.

The unmarked folles -- ie without a mint mark in the exergue -- can be divided into three groups. After many years of careful study, group I has been attributed to Lugdunum (Lyon, France), and groups II and III to Britain.

Of group II, RIC says (p. 115), " It is possible that the unmarked II coins were produced in Britain either from a travelling mint, or even from the "C" (Camulodunum?) mint of Carausius and Allectus, with which there are perhaps some stylistic affinities: the period of issue would fall from c. 298 onwards, perhaps until c. 300 or later."

Of group III, RIC says (p. 115), " The unmarked III coins are in everyway more sophisticated in style, and it may well be that they were produced at London, though lack of signature would be difficult to account for: probably it is best to class them as a British series which, for reasons unknown to us, was struck elsewhere. Their date is between 300 and 305."

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 12:50:27 pm »
Than you, i will make some more research and become to you if i find something more. Your answer is helpfull.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity