Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Reshooting the Potamikon Collection  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Reshooting the Potamikon Collection
« on: March 16, 2017, 10:34:30 am »
I've begun to reshoot my man-faced bulls.  I'm pretty happy with the results so far.  Sicily is done and I'm working through the rest.  Some of the Campanian coins came out really dark last time so those are the priority.  The Cales coins, in particular, are quite nice, but you wouldn't know it from the photos!

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3892

I've also weeded-out five that will be appearing in Joe's shop at some point, so you'll have an opportunity to get a decent example at (what I think is) a reasonable price. I might do more, but I just love them all so much.

Thanks for looking.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
Re: Reshooting the Potamikon Collection
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 05:17:10 pm »
A truly impressive collection.  And plate coins all!  ;D  Exceptional work and documentation.

I've also weeded-out five that will be appearing in Joe's shop at some point......

Shouldn't that be corralled .....   very difficult to do under the circumstances. Be careful you don't suffer corraler's regret.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 07:01:21 pm »
Thanks!

I'd like to get as many mints that issued these as possible, which means hanging on to a dozen from Neapols is really unecceary.  Just half a dozen is needed, lol.

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 07:06:48 pm »
Not my area of collecting but I was immediately drawn to the  Sileraians coin you labeled as your favorite. Impressive.
There is something about the Herbessos coin that strikes me also. The beard perhaps. Really nice collection

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 07:27:03 pm »
Thank you. I appreciate you saying so.  The forepart of the man-faced bull is my favorite style.  I don't quite know why, but it is.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity