Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Jem Sultan 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jem Sultan  (Read 189 times)
Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« on: March 14, 2017, 07:51:54 am »

I had the opportunity to use Jem Sultan for the first time yesterday. It is a fantastic reference.

To me, coins as pieces of round metal, are not interesting.  I have to be able to understand something more about them to appreciate them.  Most Islamic coin references either assume you read Arabic or don't care what the inscriptions mean. If I have a coin that is nothing but inscriptions and I don't know what it says, I get a little crazy.  I can spend hours and hours trying to find answers and may never find them. Jem Sultan has the English translations of the inscriptions on Ottoman coins.  Before I hated Ottoman coins and never wanted to touch another one.  Now I love them. Smiley  

Sultan, Jem (Holberton, William). Coins of the Ottoman Empire and the Turkish Republic: A Detailed Catalogue of the Jem Sultan Collection. (Thousand Oaks, CA, 1977).

Catalog of the famous "Jem Sultan" collection of William Holberton, acquired by the American Numismatic Society in 1997. Vol. 1. Text -- vol. 2. Plates (353 plates).

The coin I attributed is here - http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=84801q00.jpg&vpar=1288&zpg=90784&fld

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Medieval, Islamic and Crusader Coins (Moderators: AlexB, quadrans)  |  Topic: Jem Sultan « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop