Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Jem Sultan  (Read 506 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Jem Sultan
« on: March 14, 2017, 09:51:54 am »
I had the opportunity to use Jem Sultan for the first time yesterday. It is a fantastic reference.

To me, coins as pieces of round metal, are not interesting.  I have to be able to understand something more about them to appreciate them.  Most Islamic coin references either assume you read Arabic or don't care what the inscriptions mean. If I have a coin that is nothing but inscriptions and I don't know what it says, I get a little crazy.  I can spend hours and hours trying to find answers and may never find them. Jem Sultan has the English translations of the inscriptions on Ottoman coins.  Before I hated Ottoman coins and never wanted to touch another one.  Now I love them. :)  

Sultan, Jem (Holberton, William). Coins of the Ottoman Empire and the Turkish Republic: A Detailed Catalogue of the Jem Sultan Collection. (Thousand Oaks, CA, 1977).

Catalog of the famous "Jem Sultan" collection of William Holberton, acquired by the American Numismatic Society in 1997. Vol. 1. Text -- vol. 2. Plates (353 plates).

The coin I attributed is here - https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=84801q00.jpg&vpar=1288&zpg=90784&fld
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity